Rules regarding bonfires in Sheffield gardens

Not everyone has a car or the money for a skip.

Get a lift, give it away, compost it or chop up and put in bin. If it’s household stuff council collection is cheap, so are small skips. We had a really tiny skip last year for soil, concrete and stones.

Get a lift, give it away, compost it or chop up and put in bin. If it’s household stuff council collection is cheap, so are small skips. We had a really tiny skip last year for soil, concrete and stones.

What is your annual income, Chez?

What is your annual income, Chez?

I own my own business now but ten years ago hubby and I were both out of work. Our garden is an acre in size so we generate a lot rubbish. We have three compost bins made out of pallets. If the woody stuff hasn't composted you put it back in the next load. After two of three years it will have rotted down. Very large woody cuttings and branches are laid under our hedge to provide shelter for insects and small animals such as hedgehogs, frogs etc.

I don't really think your question about wages is relevant. If you are poor then you won't have the money to buy household stuff or have work done on the house or decorate so won't require a skip. While were out of work we could only afford to buy food so we didn't have anything else to throw away. Its cheaper to buy food and make it from scratch so our bin was only ever half full. If you are poor, what would you need to dispose of that you couldn't get in your dustbin or put on a compost heap?

That's why I was puzzled by the reamark that they produce dioxins...

Yeah I also didn't think burning vegetation would release dioxins.

However, it appears that dioxins are present in leaves and soil, but vegetation doesn't absorb dioxins. From here: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/r8_dioxinfacts.pdf

This next document goes one step further: https://archive.epa.gov/epawaste/nonhaz/municipal/web/html/health.html by stating that "Backyard burning is of particular health concern because it produces significant quantities of dioxins. " This appears to be cause the dioxins around settle on plants (but aren't absorbed I suppose).

I don't think burning vegetation produces dioxins, I think it might just disturb the dioxins that are currently chilled out and relaxing on the vegetation. Interesting!

Yeah I also didn't think burning vegetation would release dioxins.

However, it appears that dioxins are present in leaves and soil, but vegetation doesn't absorb dioxins. From here: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/r8_dioxinfacts.pdf

This next document goes one step further: https://archive.epa.gov/epawaste/nonhaz/municipal/web/html/health.html by stating that "Backyard burning is of particular health concern because it produces significant quantities of dioxins. " This appears to be cause the dioxins around settle on plants (but aren't absorbed I suppose).

I don't think burning vegetation produces dioxins, I think it might just disturb the dioxins that are currently chilled out and relaxing on the vegetation. Interesting!

Small quantities of dioxins and dioxin-like poisons are produced when burning "clean" wood, but it is nothing compared to the levels produced when burning treated/painted wood and or household waste on bonfires.

It is these latter, higher levels that are being referred to when generalised statements are made about toxins from bonfires.

Small quantities of dioxins and dioxin-like poisons are produced when burning "clean" wood, but it is nothing compared to the levels produced when burning treated/painted wood and or household waste on bonfires.

It is these latter, higher levels that are being referred to when generalised statements are made about toxins from bonfires.

Ah got it! Didn't think to think that people were burning household waste on bonfires!!

The OP was talking about garden waste..I assumed grass tree cuttings etc...

you can use anything from petrol to a portable flamethrower as an accelerant, but the council jobsworths frown upon using a tactical nuke in a built-up area

Yeah they're a bit mardy about that :hihi: