'Windrush generation' face deportation threat.

Even if the decision to destroy them was taken under Labour it would have had zero effect because there was a law in place protecting the Windrush immigrants. It's only after Theresa May got rid of that law that it became an issue. If Labour was guilty of anything it's assuming a future Conservative Home Secretary would properly consider the implications of their actions.

So Theresa May was directly responsible for this mess.

All else is smoke and mirrors.

So Theresa May was directly responsible for this mess.

All else is smoke and mirrors.

Clutching at straws again?

The whole mess was the making of many things. I dont think you can pin it on any one act, but destroying the primary evidence was a bit bonkers. They should have sent them to the people concerned instead for them to hold.

The whole mess was the making of many things. I dont think you can pin it on any one act, but destroying the primary evidence was a bit bonkers. They should have sent them to the people concerned instead for them to hold.

When a party has been in power for 8 years, they are responsible for the good things and bad things!

I was given indefinite leave to remain, arriving here from a non EEC country, in 1970.

I'm keeping my bloody head down.

There was an ex-policeman speaking on radio four, when they pick someone up they have to prove that they are legally here.

Due to cuts it is now more difficult to confirm someone status at the Home Office, and in 2013 Mrs May said "UK Border Agency 'not good enough' and being scrapped".

Labour wanted ID cards, also scrapped, so people are in the position of no ID, especially if you don't drive.

There was an ex-policeman speaking on radio four, when they pick someone up they have to prove that they are legally here.

Due to cuts it is now more difficult to confirm someone status at the Home Office, and in 2013 Mrs May said "UK Border Agency 'not good enough' and being scrapped".

Labour wanted ID cards, also scrapped, so people are in the position of no ID, especially if you don't drive.

Surely having a National Insurance Number (some going back to at least 1973) should be enough?