'Windrush generation' face deportation threat.

To be fair the immigration law changes in 2014 were intended to make it easy to remove new illegal immigrants mainly because of EU law and human rights. The act wasn't intended to be used to deport the Windrush generation. The current situation is more the fault of civil servants choosing soft targets and not doing their jobs correctly rather than the Government.

If you give employees targets, it should be obvious they will take the easiest route to meet them. The government should take responsibility for not giving more guidance on how to meet the targets.

To be fair the immigration law changes in 2014 were intended to make it easy to remove new illegal immigrants mainly because of EU law and human rights. The act wasn't intended to be used to deport the Windrush generation. The current situation is more the fault of civil servants choosing soft targets and not doing their jobs correctly rather than the Government.
The Windrush scandal is wholly the result of decades of ultra-liberal policies about immigration status prior to 2008 (the year in which Labour introduced the PBS for non-EU Immigration), then chronic tinkering around the edges without due process or thought (never mind joined-up thinking) for short-term political gain.

It is the typification of the truism under which the ‘easy and simple’ solutions sold to the public by populists like Farage and all those taken in by UKIP-like snake oil, are anything but in Real Life, because none of the problems which they proclaim to solve are simple at all.

If the U.K. had had e.g. an ID card personal requirement like most if not all other EU countries have (and under which pretty much everything else immigration and residency/entitlement -related systems/policies/data etc. can easily be structured and implemented/improved) you would never have seen something like the Windrush situation happen.

Blaming civil servants in context is just like the tradesman blaming his tools: the hallmark of utter incompetence.

Edited by L00b

If the U.K. had had e.g. an ID card personal requirement like most if not all other EU countries have (and under which pretty much everything else immigration and residency/entitlement -related systems/policies/data etc. can easily be structured and implemented/improved) you would never have seen something like the Windrush situation happen.

Blaming civil servants in context is just like the tradesman blaming his tools: the hallmark of utter incompetence.

ID cards have been debated in Parliament. Ironically one of the main reasons they have not been introduced is because of human rights issues. I agree it does make sense to have ID cards in the UK especially now we are leaving the EU.

---------- Post added 30-04-2018 at 12:55 ----------

If you give employees targets, it should be obvious they will take the easiest route to meet them. The government should take responsibility for not giving more guidance on how to meet the targets.

Fair point, some civil servants obviously need more guidance or should be sacked.

No It isn't. There is no tradesman in the government winrush equation, only amateurs.

I'd agree with this if the UK civil service wasn't exactly like Yes Minister

You'll be amazed to know that [when] I was a student in the 1980s, a student of economics and politics, I once had to write an essay on 'How true to life is Yes Minister'

I think I wrote in the essay that it wasn't that true to life. I can tell you, as prime minister, it is true to life.

I'd agree with this if the UK civil service wasn't exactly like Yes Minister

In those quotes by Cameron he doesn't mention the civil service - perhaps he was talking about the politicians :)

I see that Mrs May has ordered a 3-line whip on the forthcoming Commons vote about the release of the Windrush papers...if you’ve got nothing to hide, you’ve got nothing to fear, right? :twisted::hihi:

Note: the problem does not affect a 'generation' but just a few hundred people who still have not acquired documentation after residing in the UK for 50yrs.

Perhaps the media have been misreporting this entirely, but people weren't asked for a form of ID. They were asked for 30 years of documentation to prove that they had stayed in the UK for that entire time.

The fact that many (perhaps all) of these people had paid NI, meaning they must have had a NI number, they had NHS records and numbers, none of these things was considered to be proof of residence.

Did anyone else spot when the new Home Sec., Sajid Javid got started to make his first speech on the matter at the Dispatch Box, someone clearly made a 'Baaa' / sheep noise?

My money is on Dennis Skinner.

Did anyone else spot when the new Home Sec., Sajid Javid got started to make his first speech on the matter at the Dispatch Box, someone clearly made a 'Baaa' / sheep noise?

My money is on Dennis Skinner.

Javid is no sheep....

Nip over to the Conservative thread and see what I have discovered about this 'son of an immigrant bus driver'....

A 'comforting' phrase meant to distract from the fact that he is a hard headed, ruthless, cruising shark....

Edited by catpus
edit