'Windrush generation' face deportation threat.

Hang on - the Home Office have just admitted that they've made an absolute BALLS UP. Some people may have already been deported, wrongly. And you're blaming Diane Abbott!

Of course he is. It's what he does.

The Home Secretary has just been on the wireless, replying to Abbott's pathetic attempt to gain favour with the Windrush people.

The HS has stated no one will be removed or detained until their case is looked at and resolved.

Angel1.

Several people have already been deported according to Tory minister on today's Daily Politics.

Several people have already been deported according to Tory minister on today's Daily Politics.

This was no accident. Completely deliberate. The government produce a document containing tips for people deported to Jamaica, with advice like ‘try and talk like a Jamaican’

It looks to me like the act has been tidied up and those Windrush immigrants who didn't make sure they have proper paperwork have been caught out with it.

Tough new rules were introduced four years ago to weed out illegal immigrants and prevent them renting a home, working, opening a bank account and holding a driving licence.

The rules require documentary evidence of the right to be here. But many Windrush-era children do not have such proof.

Securing a residence permit requires sending the Home Office up to four pieces of documentary evidence for every year spent in the UK – an almost impossible task.

Is this another storm in a teacup where people whinge because they haven't kept up to date with their own record keeping?

Edited by alchresearch

Why on earth would May do that? To be fair this didn't feel like it came from amber rudd, she strikes me as someone too sensible to wander into to this inevitable and needless **** storm.

From what I heard on Channel 4 news & Newsnight yesterday there have been increasing attempts to create a 'hostile environment for immigrants for a number of years'. That 'hostile environemnt' has been deliberately stoked up. I think it's genuinely worth watching on catch up or iplayer the coverage of this issue on both these programmes. It was illuminating.

---------- Post added 17-04-2018 at 11:29 ----------

It looks to me like the act has been tidied up and those Windrush immigrants who didn't make sure they have proper paperwork have been caught out with it.

Is this another storm in a teacup where people whinge because they haven't kept up to date with their own record keeping?

No many of those people came here when they were little children. Over the last 50 years schools have shut down, relatives have died and official records have been destroyed.

Even Amber Rudd, the Home Secretary has said that the onus shouldn't be on individuals - how did the Windrush Generation know that one day that those at the Home Office would ****-up?

I don't think it's on that the victims are being blamed.

Edited by Mister M

Ive not been following the story really, what ive seen about it, it was brought in to tighten up rules on immigrants?........which most people demanded?.

One of the rules is about now you must give evidence to prove your status to live here?.

As an english person born and bred going back generation after generation after generation, but not owning a passport or a driving license Im finding it increasingly hard to prove i am english / british when applying for jobs Oo so i understand how some people may get into difficulty.

Tesco wouldnt even accept my "smaller" birth certificate as proof (despite it proves who i am, when i was born and where i was born and its been perfectly fine for 48 years...now suddenly it isnt, they demand the larger one with a parent on)

I know what you mean Mel. I don't have a valid passport, and people who demand ID seem amazed at the fact. Luckily I drive so I have the photo licence.

But then there's the "secondary forms of ID" - bills, statements. All mine are online. I get the occasional one from Sainsbury's Bank because they like to live in the past.