'Windrush generation' face deportation threat.

I find it incredulous that the record keeping was so poor back in 1971 when commonwealth citizens were given the right to remain. These people have lived worked and helped the country. And now they find that a lot of Their children were not registered. It's a **** up of the greatest proportions and it needs sorting out quickly.
The record keeping is still just as poor. Which is why the government is incapable of providing all sorts of meaningful immigration data in this day and age, still. And why the HO has been sending the same ‘get out’ letters since 2016 in error, to EU immigrants legally residing in the U.K. for decades.

One of the many reasons I left the U.K. earlier this year, there’s going to be a lot more of this to come yet, targeting both EU and non-EU immigrants (any of those putting any faith in the HO’s plans re.residency post-Brexit is a fool IMHO).

But that ‘hostile’ environment has been created to pander to the same public opinion which is invoking ‘immigration’ as their chief reason for voting to leave the EU. The government is effectively implementing that famous ‘will of the people’, so it’s hardly to blame, surely?

Edited by L00b

Remember those people arrested for protesting on a government airstrip about deportations?

I wonder if this is what they were protesting about?

I believe they were accused of being' terrorists.'

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1538073

Have you not figured out yet that an airfield isn't a public space you can just wander over free of consequence?

The issue is that post 1983 (IIRC) simply being born in the UK doesn't grant you citizenship. You need the long birth certificate as it shows the nationality of your parents, if one of them is British then so are you.

If you were born before this then the short birth certificate is proof of citizenship, however, either through ease, laziness or ignorance places like Tesco won't accept it.

exactly, bunch of tossers, im more english than most, yet i struggle to prove it (sigh)

Anyway must be far later than 1983, as i left home in 1988 and thats when mi dad gave me the small birth certificate and like i say, NEVER had an issue till the past 2 years (after all the demands from right whingers over immigration), i didnt have issues using it last time i was unemployed either, pre 2004

Edited by melthebell

This is a complete mess, stop going for political gain and let’s get it sorted.

Of course there’s political gain.

First, second and third generation immigrants since WW2 will in coming years be a sizeable portion of the electorate.

It’s fair game to remind them what the Tories are capable of.

This is a complete mess, stop going for political gain and let’s get it sorted.

I can't imagine how I would feel if I had arrived in a country as a child - lived there, educated there, worked there, raised my family - only then to have been removed from my job, benefits denied, and effectively told I was not welcome.

I was watching the news today - some in the middle of this have spiralled into depression, others have been enduring penury as a consequence.

It's a political issue - of course it is. The desire for the Home Office in making the environment 'tough for immigrants' (I can't remember what choice of words Theresa May publically said when she was Home Secretary) was a political choice. Politics can't be taken out of it just because the Government have made a balls up. That's too convenient & I'm certain if another political party was in power you'd be going for the jugular.

Edited by Mister M