1. 1. number of indigenous non English speaking British and Irish people

• none at all
    • less than 100
    • more than 100 but less than 500
    • between 500 and 1000
    • between 1000 and 5000
    • between 5000 and 10000
    • over 10000

Most children aren't (and you need a bit of IT in your 'Brish!)

I do not need an IT as was quoting a now altered post by Flanker7 9post 5) which was snipped by barleycorn (post 7) was not me who said "Brish" or even "(... .Brish!) ".

I totally agree that most children are not by most definitions "immigrants".

However it is possible to argue that as these shores have been populated by flow after flow of immigrants since pre-history, we as a 'people' are all immigrants.

100% of the population of the "Brish" Isles are immigrants.

Which for me raises the obvious next questions;

how is indigenous being defined?

how many generations do people think we should go back to determine whether or not someone is an indigenous brit. our family's consensus of opinion is 5 generations, which is to ones great great grandparents.

we have meticulously traced our family tree back many generations and our family roots back to the 900s all were born in britain we do not consider ourselves to be immigrants thank you.

how many generations do people think we should go back to determine whether or not someone is an indigenous brit. our family's consensus of opinion is 5 generations, which is to ones great great grandparents.

we have meticulously traced our family tree back many generations and our family roots back to the 900s all were born in britain we do not consider ourselves to be immigrants thank you.

Your lot did well to survive the 1066 invason or did your ancesters turn traitor and side with the Normans who took possession of vast amounts of land. You could be Viking, Angle , Saxon or Roman to name but a few , thank you!

Careful who you are getting snooty with:-

George II. George Augustus; German:George was the last British monarch born outside Great Britain: he was born and brought up in northern Germany. His grandmother, Sophia of Hanover, became second in line to the British throne after about fifty Catholics higher in line were excluded by the Act of Settlement 1701 and the Acts of Union 1707, which restricted the succession to Protestants.

Edited by Flanker7

It's impossible to trace all your ancestors as far back as that.

You are kidding yourself if you think that you can trace all of your family back a thousand years to establish that they were all born in Britain.

The number of individuals would be many millions.

No matter how meticulous you are in copying other peoples research you are subject to the same limitations as everyone else.

Many family trees are deliberately fictitious to hide or gain from an event.

Many historical family trees are the creations of visiting paid entertainers.

The records are incomplete, inaccurate, miss-copied etc.

Not even the royal family can accurately trace all its ancestors back to anywhere near 900.

Now it would be interesting to ask them which wave of immigrants they belonged to, married into, learnt the language of, learnt their trade from, did business with etc.

At least 3 generations per century, 11 centuries, 33 generations. You claim you traced all of them which means you are of royal descent.

Do you include those indigenous people who have a faint grasp of their own language? Those who you hear every day talking in grunts and incomprehensible street patois?

What about those who have learning difficulties and cannot write nor speak coherent English?

Without knowing the context within which you are framing your question it's difficult to make any estimates.

I heard a woman call to her daughter several times the other day. It wasn't until I read the tattoo on her arm I realised what the daughters name was. ?