Why do people smash stuff up when frustrated or angry?

That’s true of many things in life but judging/judgement is crucial to staying alive and well. We are constantly weighing up our options in order to succeed. By and large, many people would choose to stay away from someone who displays this kind of behaviour, particularly women. That seems a useful and sensible judgement. It is distressing for others to witness, especially as the person is usually too angry to be reasoned with.

Usually it is men who have these violent tendencies and to a certain extent it is driven by their biology and maybe social conditioning. There are ways of dealing with it e.g. therapy, sport, distraction.

Arguably, there is less excuse for this behaviour now that we have access to information via the Internet about how to manage it.

I think so long as you're mindful that you have no idea what another person is going through, or how you yourself would react if you had to endure whatever it is they do. That's the main thing.

If someone was 'losing it' in public (which wasn't what I had in mind when posting the OP), you can understand others being naturally wary. You have to wonder though, how many people would actually be concerned for a person like that, for their wellbeing etc, rather than just being judgemental and secretly looking down on them (while not actually considering the differences in life opportunities, fluke of birth etc, beteeen you and them).

In these enlightened days there is no need to smash anything up, bones included. There is therapy for anger management:

The British association of Anger Management.

How to Control Your Anger.

Enlightened days eh .... and yet there are people who can become violent at the flick of a switch without barely showing any anger. Anger management is usually undertaken by people who have shown their anger in a way that would concern themselves and more often maybe concern others, who sometimes recommend them for it, and of course some mental health issues can make a person lose it.

I do know people who have smashed things up rather than smash people up, that in itself could be considered to be anger management.

I think so long as you're mindful that you have no idea what another person is going through, or how you yourself would react if you had to endure whatever it is they do. That's the main thing.

If someone was 'losing it' in public (which wasn't what I had in mind when posting the OP), you can understand others being naturally wary. You have to wonder though, how many people would actually be concerned for a person like that, for their wellbeing etc, rather than just being judgemental and secretly looking down on them (while not actually considering the differences in life opportunities, fluke of birth etc, beteeen you and them).

If someone is flying into a rage regularly then they should be concerned for themselves. It is not normal behaviour. They need to get help.

Unfortunately I see it becoming far more common than it used to be and therefore 'normalised.' I wonder how many parents argue and show off in front of their children when they should be setting a good example? How many children and teenagers are allowed by parents to get away with this sort of behaviour?

IMO it all starts in the home.

If someone is flying into a rage regularly then they should be concerned for themselves. It is not normal behaviour. They need to get help.

Unfortunately I see it becoming far more common than it used to be and therefore 'normalised.' I wonder how many parents argue and show off in front of their children when they should be setting a good example? How many children and teenagers are allowed by parents to get away with this sort of behaviour?

Yes, it's not normal, and a person should be concerned for their well-being. I tend to think advice such as 'get a grip' is an oversimplification and not at all helpful. More helpful advice, may include getting help as you suggest, talking things through with the right person can help for sure, if you can find the right person. I think it's also a good idea for an individual to give a lot of thought to what's triggering their frustration, what's the root cause or issue etc? You need to be clear about that before you can know how to tackle and improve things.

It does indeed start at home, and the softly softly approach to discipline at home and at school in the last 30 years or so has almost certainly contributed to this IMHO !