Chinese sauces with no English language on the packet

Guest makapaka
I mean you could have a go at cooking it, but if it's got traces of nuts or summat in it someone could die. I thought things had to be clearly labelled.

Well you wouldn’t buy it if you were that concerned plus pretty much everything you buy says may contain traces of nuts.

There’ll be nothing in these shops you can’t get in tescos anyway so if it bothers people don’t shop there.

Or learn Chinese if you want to shop there.

Well you wouldn’t buy it if you were that concerned plus pretty much everything you buy says may contain traces of nuts.

There’ll be nothing in these shops you can’t get in tescos anyway so if it bothers people don’t shop there.

Or learn Chinese if you want to shop there.

I don't know if they say they contain nuts or not - in English or Chinese. I was merely interested in the legal stand point.

I'm surprised about this from a legal point of view; surely things must be clearly labelled?

Indeed, purely given the existing hoops businesses have to jump through it's an odd omission. They HAVE (or at least had) to show measures in metric and not imperial at all (although I believe they can show both now) they MUST make reasonable steps to ensure access for disabled people - all quite reasonable. Ingredients not in English? Learn Chinese. Really?

Guest makapaka
Indeed, purely given the existing hoops businesses have to jump through it's an odd omission. They HAVE (or at least had) to show measures in metric and not imperial at all (although I believe they can show both now) they MUST make reasonable steps to ensure access for disabled people - all quite reasonable. Ingredients not in English? Learn Chinese. Really?

Well yes - you don’t have to shop there.

When you go to a fruit and vegetable stand in the market, or a deli in the supermarket- do you get to read the labels?

When you go to a fruit and vegetable stand in the market, or a deli in the supermarket- do you get to read the labels?

Yes I do ;) I read them ALL, shopping takes ages.

You could say the same about disabled shoppers "yeah, there's a load of steps and narrow isles here mate, sod off down to Tesco". A shop should be in trouble if they took that attitude.

You know you could all look at the legal requirements..

https://www.gov.uk/food-labelling-and-packaging

I dont think just Chinese, especially since it's not an official EU language would meet the "easily understandable" test...

---------- Post added 19-04-2018 at 00:26 ----------

I do. Peanut and gluten allergies means I have no choice if I dont want to die.

some of the packets are radically extreme, and they have not western, but only Chinese numerals. So an unsuspecting westerner, has no clue, how long you are supposed to simmer the sauce for.

15 minutes

---------- Post added 19-04-2018 at 00:53 ----------

I'm surprised about this from a legal point of view; surely things must be clearly labelled?

They are clearly labelled. In Mandarin.

We went to a Chinese restaurant and as it turned out the staff working there only spoke tiny little bit English. It was difficult, but not impossible to order the food.

When we got the food we realised we could cook better at home and had made a mistake going there.