Chinese sauces with no English language on the packet

Why isn't it? It's offered for sale isn't it?

Food regulations exist for a reason. It's called safety. If you circumvent that you have people who can easily die from allergic reactions.

As for don't buy it - if you take that attitude then I have to make sure I source every single meal myself. No eating out at a place that might have bought supplies from these places and misread the label... so you think it's reasonable for me never to have a meal out at any resteraunt?

Yes that's exactly what i mean!! nailed on... well done :thumbsup:

Guest makapaka
You know, I actually said why in the post you quoted....

However...

"EU Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011 on the provision of food information to consumers states that, where labelling is required, it should be 'in a language easily understood by the consumers of the member states where a food is marketed'"

Why do you think this isn’t being adhered to with the Chinese food sold in Sheffield?

You know you could all look at the legal requirements..

https://www.gov.uk/food-labelling-and-packaging

I dont think just Chinese, especially since it's not an official EU language would meet the "easily understandable" test...

---------- Post added 19-04-2018 at 00:26 ----------

I do. Peanut and gluten allergies means I have no choice if I dont want to die.

But thats not always possible? My local deli does not have any labels on fruit/vegetables about this. Nor for any of the pre-cooked food you can buy from the counter.

So I took the posters point being if thats ok, whats the difference when the labels are in chinese? In neither case is it possible to know. From that point of view though, perhaps neither should be allowed.

I agree! Disabled people who can't get into certain shops and bars should just take their money elsewhere as well!

[scarcasm /]

Let me get this straight!

You're comparing picking up an unknown jar of sauce, written in mandarin, you have food allergies and you're unsure what is in the jar so you dont buy it TO a disabled person not being able to access a shop......

OK dude.

---------- Post added 19-04-2018 at 12:11 ----------

Nice to see you confirm your attitude. I used to think you were a quite reasonable and sensible poster as well.

I'm having an off day :P

Why do you think this isn’t being adhered to with the Chinese food sold in Sheffield?

Because 這是消費者難以理解的第三次。(Zhè shì xiāofèi zhě nányǐ lǐjiě de dì sān cì.)

(with apologies to the moderators but I'm making a point)

Let me get this straight!

You're comparing picking up an unknown jar of sauce, written in mandarin, you have food allergies and you're unsure what is in the jar so you dont buy it TO a disabled person not being able to access a shop......

OK dude.

Yes. Medical conditions are treated as the same as a physical disability under the Equalities Act.

If you make it so that I cannot successfully buy a good without risking my health, that stops me from purchasing it. Thats no different from stopping someone in a wheelchair from coming into a shop because of a flight of stairs.

Yes. Medical conditions are treated as the same as a physical disability under the Equalities Act.

If you make it so that I cannot successfully buy a good without risking my health, that stops me from purchasing it. Thats no different from stopping someone in a wheelchair from coming into a shop because of a flight of stairs.

Let's agree to disagree on this one Obelix :D

---------- Post added 19-04-2018 at 12:18 ----------

Can i just quickly say though before you jump on me about disabilities!

My brother has Cerebral Palsy and is in a wheelchair.. True Story :)