Machine guns fired in Walkley?

The Star don't deserve my click / view for their advertising / money purposes. Awful website.

Would be better if you pasted the article into here with the link at the bottom for anybody interested Paula.

Good call. Here you go:

Detectives are continuing to hunt for those involved in a 'machine gun' attack on two homes in Sheffield. Shocked residents said they heard the sound what they suspect was a machine gun being fired in Bransby Street, Walkley, late on Wednesday night.

The downstairs windows of two homes were shot at, with one of the houses belonging to an 84-year-old woman.

A number of ammunition casings found at the scene were recovered and are being forensically examined in a bid to help identify those involved. No arrests have yet been made.

Police officers sealed off the crime scene yesterday while forensic experts examined the street and carried out enquiries. Superintendent Paul McCurry, of South Yorkshire Police, said: "A number of lines of enquiry are already being pursued and ammunition casings found at the scene have been recovered and will be forensically examined over the coming days.

---------- Post added 20-04-2018 at 10:39 ----------

Its more than likely a case of scum trying to murder fellow scum in a targeted attack and the bullets hit two houses by mistake rather than just the one they were aiming at.

Probably - but not much comfort to the 84 year old woman who got two bullets fired through her window....or any of us that don't want people with 'machine guns' shooting each other in residential streets, 'scum' or otherwise.

The BBC have reported it, but just as multiple shots being fired.

I doubt that the average Joe can tell the difference between rapid pistol shots and automatic fire, and if there was an automatic weapon involved it was probably sub-machine, ie not an automatic rifle or larger.

---------- Post added 20-04-2018 at 11:11 ----------

Oh, and it was in Upperthorpe, not Walkley.

The BBC have reported it, but just as multiple shots being fired.

I doubt that the average Joe can tell the difference between rapid pistol shots and automatic fire, and if there was an automatic weapon involved it was probably sub-machine, ie not an automatic rifle or larger.

---------- Post added 20-04-2018 at 11:11 ----------

Oh, and it was in Upperthorpe, not Walkley.

"Lower Walkley" if you an an estate agent.

"Lower Walkley" if you an an estate agent.

No - Lower Walkley is the other end - the area off Walkley Lane down towards Hillsborough / Langsett Road - including the Langsett estate.

In the early 80's I used to live on Daniel Hill Street just round the corner from Bransby. Bransby Street and Boyce Street were always called Walkley - Upperthorpe started below Boyce Street.

That looks like the old ward boundary map that was used briefly up until a couple of years when the area between Crookesmoor Road and Birkendale (all S6) was in Broomhill Ward - although none of us living in the area would call it Broomhill. Back in Walkley Ward now, although I wouldn't describe myself as living in Walkley.

Bransby has always been in Walkley Ward to the best of my knowledge - although ward boundaries don't always define a locality - eg Walkley ward includes both Upperthorpe and Netherthorpe.

The thick black line was an attempt to divide the ward between Hillsborough and Ecclesall parliamentary constituencies - although currently part of Sheffield Central (since 2010).