Stephen Lawrence day

Anybody visiting this country for the first time would think this was the only murder to have happened in the last 25 years. I'd love to see the figures for the number of white people murdered by ethnic minorities for being white. It seems black lives matter...more than white lives.

It's a Political decision made by the Tory's to try and curry favour with the non white members of society imho, others may think differently. Mr Lawrence suffered a terrible death, as did some of those who were murdered before him, and those who have been murdered since. Seems odd to just pick one out at random.

I would prefer Victoria Cross recipients to have a day dedicated to them.

Angel1.

Anyone being murdered is a tragic event. The Lawrence family want justice just like every other family in the same position regardless of race. Unsolved murders are one of the biggest problems for the police because a lot of people are anti-police and will not help them and without the help from the public they will not get any where especially if the murders have been carried out by gangs because witnesses will not come forward because of being frightened of reprisals from the guilty gangs.

I agree the Lawrence family needed justice, but don't support a special memorial day for any individual.

Agree that it highlighted the issue of institutionalised racism, especially on the part of the Police, I’m not sure it merits a special day in the calendar.

Any coincidence it’s announced just after the Windrush affair became common knowledge and made Theresa May look bad ? Talk about guilt tripping.

Did you watch the Stephen Lawrence documentary last week “the murder that changed a nation”

That would have explained it.

It was a fantastic documentary.

This ^^

it is political, it was a watershed moment in race relations and waking up to institutional racism

And very much this ^^

---------- Post added 24-04-2018 at 19:43 ----------

All this false sincerity is pathetic, pc Yvonne fletchers death was a real tragedy and she is just one of many more deserving people to have a memorial day.

Killed in the line of duty, it can come with that job.

---------- Post added 24-04-2018 at 19:45 ----------

By locking him out if he is not home by 10?

Yeah, way to go Stephens Mum.

Vile post :gag:

Why not? ..................

The question should be, Why would we?

Ive just read that back to myself and its coming off a bit argumentative for no reason.

When I say why would we. What I mean is this guy had his head hacked off by a couple of loonie tunes muslims in broad daylight in the street. What else did he do?

So what would putting a statue up of him achieve?

What would be the message?

Edited by Dimple