Don valley Railway

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I disagree with politicians that says northern England needs better east-west links.

To be fair, the number of trains isnt actually the problem.  What is a problem is:

- the time they take

- the length of the trains

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

To be fair, the number of trains isnt actually the problem.  What is a problem is:

- the time they take

- the length of the trains

The EMR trains take between 45-55 minutes to get up to Manchester from Sheffield (it varies based on signalling and dwell times). For most of the day, these are 4 coaches (I used to be a Hostess on these trains). TransPennine are 6 coach trains at busy times, making them longer would cause problems, as they already overhang on the platform at Meadowhall. The main problem is the TransPennine trains keep getting cancelled or not running all the way to Cleethorpes, I believe this is due to staffing problems, not something a government/political investment could improve. If you want to travel West to Manchester, you have frequent trains and EMR & Northern tend to be reliable on this route. If you want to travel east to Nottingham, there are 2 trains per hour, one of which is express with 4 coaches, catering and all of the home comforts you could want. The politicians are trying to create a problem where there is not one.

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The EMR trains take between 45-55 minutes to get up to Manchester from Sheffield (it varies based on signalling and dwell times). For most of the day, these are 4 coaches (I used to be a Hostess on these trains). TransPennine are 6 coach trains at busy times, making them longer would cause problems, as they already overhang on the platform at Meadowhall. The main problem is the TransPennine trains keep getting cancelled or not running all the way to Cleethorpes, I believe this is due to staffing problems, not something a government/political investment could improve. If you want to travel West to Manchester, you have frequent trains and EMR & Northern tend to be reliable on this route. If you want to travel east to Nottingham, there are 2 trains per hour, one of which is express with 4 coaches, catering and all of the home comforts you could want. The politicians are trying to create a problem where there is not one.

They probably need to be 6 coach trains more often tbh.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 2

On 04/10/2023 at 22:01, geared said:

Some junior researcher has probably spent five minutes online looking for possible rail projects and stuck a few buzz words into the teleprompter.

Yes quite likely or lets look at all the projects we have considered recently and done nothing about

23 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I believe the railway line involved in the proposed Don Valley Railway also runs through Wadsley Bridge, this would be useful on football match days (and alleviate the crush loading on trams on these days).

Somehow the cost of putting a simple platform by the side of the railway seem to cost an arm and a leg what worries me is that they will so over engineer this that it will never happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Yes quite likely or lets look at all the projects we have considered recently and done nothing about

Somehow the cost of putting a simple platform by the side of the railway seem to cost an arm and a leg what worries me is that they will so over engineer this that it will never happen.

Is the correct answer. Purely hot air spouted by an electioneering politician,

9 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

I worry the same, also. Where tracklaying is involved, I can imagine such a high cost, but the track is there, the entrance and steps are there, the platforms just need knocking down and rebuilding to today's standards. I am possibly being ignorant, as a retired railway girl, I like to think I know about this, I can't see why re-openning the station would be impossible. 

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

How many many walk up the hills from Deepcar?

How many will cross the river and get on at Wharncliffe?

How far is it from Oughty Bridge to Oughtibridge?

How many will want to wait an hour between trains?

Who wants to be dropped off at a Nunnery Square terminus?

Finishing at Nunnery Square would make the project completely unfeasable. I do not know the North West that well, I will not pretend to know about Wharncliffe Side and the possibilities there. Last year, I did do a walk all around Stockbridge, from Fox Valley, up Hope Pot Lane (or whatever it is called), right to the top then down Alpine Road and on to Unsliven Road and heading east along Manchester Road. What struck me is that Stocksbridge is a densely populated town. Young families, the elderly and everyone in between seems to live there. It is definitely a troubled area, I recall a bus driver telling me that someone pulled a knife out on him on the estate at the top of Nunny Hill. That said, Firth Park is also very troubled, yet still has great links to the city centre. Stocksbridge and the surrounding areas have been neglected for far too long. 

11 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I worry the same, also. Where tracklaying is involved, I can imagine such a high cost, but the track is there, the entrance and steps are there, the platforms just need knocking down and rebuilding to today's standards. I am possibly being ignorant, as a retired railway girl, I like to think I know about this, I can't see why re-openning the station would be impossible. 

The track path is there but the track will need to be renewed and relaid no way the current track could be used

10 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Nunnery Square is one stop on the tram to get to town

It wouldn’t take a genius to make that work.

I am sure that the clowns could ensure that the link between the two is made as difficult as possible and that separate tickets for the tram and the train were required