Don valley Railway

4 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Just to make it clear  ....no farmers land would be needed to get a  train to Swallowest  they go near enough already. I don't expect that a station would be considered now but it was and train times, stopping times etc were all planned. 

Why don't you be more precise with your location rather then just 'South West ' as that encompasses quite a large area.

If you mean just stopping at a halt on the existing line, I can't see that being attractive to people going too/from Swallownest,  a branch line going as close as possible would be what's needed to lure people away from bus services. There should be paths for such a service, as the current Northern™ services are hourly.

I am located near to the Western part of Lydgate Lane, Crosspool. I take it you are based in the Stocksbridge area.

5 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Are the sidings still at Beighton ?  From there its about a 10 minute walk to Swallownest .

There could also be a link to killamarsh from that line, the railway runs across Station Road in Halfway, but would Killamarsh alone be enough to justify it.

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Are the sidings still at Beighton ?  From there its about a 10 minute walk to Swallownest .

The sidings space is still there, the tracks were taken up long ago, but the space was reserved for possible HS2 use....it's visible from the A57 over the valley and is well overgrown now.

3 minutes ago, Meltman said:

The sidings space is still there, the tracks were taken up long ago, but the space was reserved for possible HS2 use....it's visible from the A57 over the valley and is well overgrown now.

Yes , I know where it is , I meant to say the tracks . :thumbsup:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

If you mean just stopping at a halt on the existing line, I can't see that being attractive to people going too/from Swallownest,  a branch line going as close as possible would be what's needed to lure people away from bus services. There should be paths for such a service, as the current Northern™ services are hourly.

I am located near to the Western part of Lydgate Lane, Crosspool. I take it you are based in the Stocksbridge area.

I do mean stopping at a halt on the existing line and would provide a link to Sheffield and Leeds (stopping at Meadowhall) in one direction and all stations to Lincoln in the other direction. 

I'm based in Aston. 

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

I do mean stopping at a halt on the existing line and would provide a link to Sheffield and Leeds (stopping at Meadowhall) in one direction and all stations to Lincoln in the other direction. 

I'm based in Aston. 

Would people walk the rest of the way? I am not sure that they would. 

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Yes , I know where it is , I meant to say the tracks . :thumbsup:

The running lines are still in place at Beighton, the line branches off at Woodhouse junction and heads towards Chesterfield. It's used by freight trains to save going through Sheffield and passenger trains that need to be diverted due to engineering work. 

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Would people walk the rest of the way? I am not sure that they would. 

I've no idea, but that is the problem with a train or tram running anywhere on existing railway lines/track bed.

13 minutes ago, Meltman said:

The running lines are still in place at Beighton, the line branches off at Woodhouse junction and heads towards Chesterfield. It's used by freight trains to save going through Sheffield and passenger trains that need to be diverted due to engineering work. 

I've no idea, but that is the problem with a train or tram running anywhere on existing railway lines/track bed.

If they could find a country lane that links from the mainline in to Swallownest, they could possibly do it with single line running. 

A station at Swallownest, on the Sheffield to Lincoln line is not far away from Swallownest. It's closer than Dore and Totley station is to either Dore or Totley for example. I can't imagine anyone walking from Totley to the station nowadays,  like everywhere else there needs to be a park and ride to 'encourage ' people to use alternative methods of transport. 

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

A station at Swallownest, on the Sheffield to Lincoln line is not far away from Swallownest. It's closer than Dore and Totley station is to either Dore or Totley for example. I can't imagine anyone walking from Totley to the station nowadays,  like everywhere else there needs to be a park and ride to 'encourage ' people to use alternative methods of transport. 

:thumbsup: . I used to work on the railway in Hope Valley , based in Hathersage .   Around all the stations the roads were lined with cars ,that the commuters to Sheffield and Manchester used as car parks .

Edited by hackey lad
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Meltman said:

And a park and ride is no good if one is going out for cocktails.