Don valley Railway

4 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

A diesel tram could provide more flexibility and reduce costs, no need for stanchions and power cables. No unsightly steel structures. It's definitely something to think about. 

No one has produced diesel trams in recent years.

Network rail wanted to buy some for the tram train trial, but the last ones designed had euro 3 engines which didn’t meet current standards so they would have had to pay for a full redesign, so the idea was dropped.

Far more likely that battery powered trams could be used in places where catenary isn’t practical or desirable. Birmingham have this arrangement in sensitive areas through the city centre. West Yorkshire are planning for it in theirs. Hydrogen power might be feasible in the not too distant future. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Glossop Road would prove tricky, at the busy junction of Manchester Road (where The York is). Woodseats Road bridge would probably not be strong enough to hold a tram and Queen's Road has too complicated a layout to have tram tracks on it. I do suppose Totley could be possible, if you run a tram down Eyre Street and somehow across Saint Mary's. That said, us in the South West are often treated as an after thought. Firth Park would not be reachable, with the one way traffic on Waingate, the junctions on Spital Hill and Hucklow Road only just fits buses down it, let alone trams.

Send the tram up Whitham Rd to Broomhill.

Send the tram up Chesterfield Rd to Woodseats.

One way traffic on Waingate and a few narrow junctions a barrier to trams to Firth Park....idiot or troll?

14 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am not digging myself in anywhere. You and ECCO think if you stick an engine on a tram that it becomes a bus. That is absurd.

Have you not heard of the development of battery power for trains and trams. This line going nowhere would be ideal for this type of “ green” power

11 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Don't worry about it - she thinks she's the forum expert on life 'as it should be lived' -as well as being a complete numpty.

Irene reminds me of that woman with a degree who used to post here who thought because she had a degree (in some Mickey Mouse subject from a local college) she was an expert in transport matters.

Just now, BigAl1 said:

Irene reminds me of that woman with a degree who used to post here who thought because she had a degree (in some Mickey Mouse subject from a local college) she was an expert in transport matters.

One and the same individual - 'Love Potion' was her previous forum ID.

• Like 1