Don valley Railway

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

They have electrified countless tunnels across the network, why should Totley tunnel be any different ?

I accept it might be expensive when done, but once done it's done, for centuries.

It's one of, if not the longest tunnel on the network and is of a steep gradient. Such a task would mean no trains to the Peak District for a considerable amount of time. Do we really want more disruption amid the chronic strike action?

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

They have electrified countless tunnels across the network, why should Totley tunnel be any different ?

I accept it might be expensive when done, but once done it's done, for centuries.

It is a very old, very low and constricted tunnel, with extremely restricted space.

35 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I hardly think they are going to change international vehicle construction regulations just because you don’t like them.

>>just because you don’t like them<<

Why are you personalising this ?

>>I hardly think they are going to change international vehicle construction regulations<<

If the UK government wanted to change anything about what runs on our railways, or roads for that matter, what business is it of any other country ?

As an aside, whether you mean to or not you give the impression you are not really in favour of driving as  a means of transport, but do you think Mottram needs its bypass ? ! ?

9 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's one of, if not the longest tunnel on the network and is of a steep gradient. Such a task would mean no trains to the Peak District for a considerable amount of time. Do we really want more disruption amid the chronic strike action?

I agree if they shut it for electrification works it would be very inconvenient since they shut both the alternative routes, : Woodhead and Matlock to Buxton !

But short term pain for long term gain as they say.

Edited by Chekhov

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

>>just because you don’t like them<<

Why are you personalising this ?

>>I hardly think they are going to change international vehicle construction regulations<<

If the UK government wanted to change anything about what runs on our railways, or roads for that matter, what business is it of any other country ?

As an aside, whether you mean to or not you give the impression you are not really in favour of driving as  a means of transport, but do you think Mottram needs its bypass ? ! ?

I agree if they shut it for electrification works it would be very inconvenient since they shut both the alternative routes, : Woodhead and Matlock to Buxton !

Services to Manchester and Liverpool could still run via Chapeltown, Penistone and Huddersfield. In fact, last time I checked, some TransPennine services use this route in early mornings to retain driver knowledge for diversions. It would mean that there'd be no trains to Stockport and crucially, none to the Peak District, Hope, Edale, Chinley etc are already fairly cut off as it is and rely on tourist trade to make a living. 

35 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Services to Manchester and Liverpool could still run via Chapeltown, Penistone and Huddersfield. In fact, last time I checked, some TransPennine services use this route in early mornings to retain driver knowledge for diversions. It would mean that there'd be no trains to Stockport and crucially, none to the Peak District, Hope, Edale, Chinley etc are already fairly cut off as it is and rely on tourist trade to make a living. 

That's a hell of a way round on an already very busy line. Even worse some sections of the Barnsley to Huddersfield line are single track !

It may be that if electrification of Totley tunnel was ever planned they'd eliminate the single track sections on the aforementioned route before work line closures commenced ?

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

I like driving as much as the next person ( I have 2 cars), but I see the downsides of over reliance on car use because of the job I do.

Yes Mottram does need a bypass ( as does Tintwhistle) but there’s a lot of potential issues associated with it, which is why it hasn’t happened so far. I used to attend the stakeholder group meetings about the  project in my previous roles.

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

If diesel trams were needed the promoter of the scheme would need to pay a manufacturer to design compliant vehicles. It would not be easy or quick and it would be damned expensive.

Would these be called "buses"?

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I like driving as much as the next person ( I have 2 cars), but I see the downsides of over reliance on car use because of the job I do.

Yes Mottram does need a bypass ( as does Tintwhistle) but there’s a lot of potential issues associated with it, which is why it hasn’t happened so far. I used to attend the stakeholder group meetings about the  project in my previous roles.

I believe in personal freedom above pretty much everything, but I also accept that if you build more roads you do tend to generate more traffic so there is a balance to be struck. And that balance includes a bypass for Mottram, and ideally Tintwhistle as well, as urgently as possible. 

I think it's a ludicrous state of affairs that the major road between Sheffield (and the M1) and Manchester is a single carriageway ending in a crawl through an urban area. I cannot see how that was ever allowed to happen.