Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

Perhaps you've confused "allowed to" with "do".

I run on the road, up Stockarth Lane for example there is no pavement. I expect cars to avoid running me over whilst I do that and even to wait if they can't pass me safely whilst something comes the other way.

Speaking of which, another extremely dangerous overtake by a young woman in a small older car (IMO the most dangerous class of driver) today here;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3955014,-1.4891919,3a,60y,249.52h,74.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5IBFVNctxwY_uNT30udcUw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Overtook me with inches to spare about 2 feet into the section with a central reservation.

But of course it's the cyclists who are a danger, not the drivers flinging around 2 tons of metal without a care for anyone else.

---------- Post added 21-08-2018 at 16:55 ----------

LOOK . Everybody knows cyclists should have insurance its common sense but its goverment policy to encourage them on the road so not going to happen end off

LOOK, hardly anyone thinks that cyclists should have insurance. Only a few blowhard motorists who think they should own the road and are upset that they don't. It's definitely not going to happen though, you got that right.

---------- Post added 21-08-2018 at 16:56 ----------

It's dangerous on busy roads. The government is putting cyclists in danger.

Are you actually trying to claim that insurance would make cyclists safer? :loopy:

Are you actually trying to claim that insurance would make cyclists safer? :loopy:

A mandatory test, tax & insurance & restriction on certain roads would make it safer for cyclists & other road users they are potentially endangering.

Why do you think it wouldn't?

---------- Post added 21-08-2018 at 17:03 ----------

Do you think car drivers are safer or less safe with measures in place?

There are penalties for cyclists running red lights. I could have points put on my license and a fine just like you (yes, my car license, for running a light on a cycle).

I didn't say there should be penalties for dangerous motorists, I said there should be a crackdown on them!

There are penalties for cyclists running red lights. I could have points put on my license and a fine just like you (yes, my car license, for running a light on a cycle).

I didn't say there should be penalties for dangerous motorists, I said there should be a crackdown on them!

Its odd that you dont get points for riding a bike whilst drunk, unless there is a difference between riding it on the path and riding it on the road whilst drunk.

Are you sure? I'd like to see the definitive evidence for this, as I understood that although the fixed penaltiy fines applied, you could not accrue points on a driving licence for cycling offences (with the specific exception of causing bodily harm by wanton or furious cycling or racing, or by wilful misconduct or wilful neglect on a bicycle).

Edited by stifflersmom

It is also an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle (and a horse for that matter).. but urban motor myth will still prevail...

Also the speed limit applies to bicycles... although every time I go anywhere on my bike or in my car I see 100s of people ignoring the speed limit... and no doubt some of them have no tax, test or insurance.

Edited by Vasquez Rich