Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

That's as maybe but it is not the 'angry motorists' that the arrogant cyclists are injuring, it is the pedestrian that they injure as they hurtle up and down the pavement with no regard for pedestrians, never mind ignoring all red lights

Can you provide the link that illustrates your interpretation of the statistics please?

Has to be something real, not from your imagination.

I walk on pavements regularly, both in the city centre and in South West Sheffield and am struggling to think of a single time I've seen a bike hurtling up and down the pavements.

I was almost mowed down twice on the pavement on Flat Street near the Penny Black/Interchange main entrance by a groups of young cyclists hurtling downhill (on the pavement) yesterday evening at approx 7:15pm. The first one actually brushed my clothing.

They then proceeded to continue at speed through the nearest enclosed platform of the Interchange. Not typical I know, but it does happen.

We know the statistics, very few pedestrians are injured by cycles. Approx 1.5 KSI a year.

Cycles shouldn't be on pavements and they shouldn't be jumping red lights, but the idea that it's a source of many injuries is obviously false.

That court case about this courier having a collision whith that mom at least the media makes it sound like one of the main issues is that bike brakes were not working properly.

Cyclone is absolutely right, I still have visions of my parents telling me what the rules of cycling are but that happened in a (slightly) different society. Still see lots of good cyclist in Sheffield who simply cycle a lot slower where they mix with pedestrians and who anticipate their environment around for the sake of safety.

Can you provide the link that illustrates your interpretation of the statistics please?

Has to be something real, not from your imagination.

I walk on pavements regularly, both in the city centre and in South West Sheffield and am struggling to think of a single time I've seen a bike hurtling up and down the pavements.

No need to provide any link as I did not quote any statistics.

However, try standing at the roundabout on Handsworth Road where the path comes down the side of the slip road, from Asda, at about 8am and try not to be run down by the lycra maniacs on their way towards Waverley AMP.

However, try standing at the roundabout on Handsworth Road where the path comes down the side of the slip road, from Asda, at about 8am and try not to be run down by the lycra maniacs on their way towards Waverley AMP.

that's a signed, national, cycle route, i use it most days.

here's the point:

what do we need to do, to get more people to use their bikes for short journeys?

we could be spending government time and money building high quality, safe routes, that would encourage not--cyclists to ride their bikes for short journeys.

instead, the government is working out ways to make cyclists/cycling seem even more weird.

that's a signed, national, cycle route, i use it most days.

here's the point:

what do we need to do, to get more people to use their bikes for short journeys?

we could be spending government time and money building high quality, safe routes, that would encourage not--cyclists to ride their bikes for short journeys.

instead, the government is working out ways to make cyclists/cycling seem even more weird.

Oh, sorry, didn't realise that, so that is the reason you lycra maniacs are allowed to ride at pedestrians :huh::loopy:

it's the reason why people on bikes are allowed to ride along that stretch of pavement.

i don't know why you're obsessed with what i wear while i'm cycling, you'll have to resolve that on your own.

as for the accusation of being a maniac, i'm doing about 12mph along there, less past a pedestrian.

it's the reason why people on bikes are allowed to ride along that stretch of pavement.

i don't know why you're obsessed with what i wear while i'm cycling, you'll have to resolve that on your own.

as for the accusation of being a maniac, i'm doing about 12mph along there, less past a pedestrian.

Not obsessed with what you wear just the maniacs who ride at the pedestrians on that stretch of the pavement

We know the statistics, very few pedestrians are injured by cycles. Approx 1.5 KSI a year.

Cycles shouldn't be on pavements and they shouldn't be jumping red lights, but the idea that it's a source of many injuries is obviously false.

i'd point out that the stastic mentioned previously in theis thread related to deaths not to non fatal incident involving pedal cyclists

when a person or vehicle is in a collision with a cyclist how does one report an incident and to who? they have no license number by which to identify them.

what would be the point of reporting them anway..they can leave the scene ..with impunity. A motorist would be in serious trouble.

not even 3rd part insurance.

no proof of competence like motorcyclist learner has to at least pass their CBT.

if adults insist on playing on the road on their pedal cycles then ownership of licenses and the same rules must be applied to them as every other road user.

there is so much wrong with most pedal cyclists, thier being on the road their conduct on and off it that we really should have a whole new thread about it.

i'm a biker of several decades, many of the hazards pedal cyclists face motorcyclists do too but unlike the riders of scooters anf mopeds the pedalists will certainly get no respect from me until have earned and deserved it.