Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

I have very strong opinions on this topic having been injured twice by a cyclist riding on the pavement. The first incident was a male, lycra and helmet clad male who I didn't know was behind me when I swerved to avoid a puddle whilst walking on the pavement. Whilst I was on the floor nursing a bruised leg he told me I should walk in a straight line mindful of cyclists, threatened to sue me for repairs to his bike and then rode off/ The second incident involved a similarly clad young woman who ploughed into a group of us who had got off the tram and were waiting for a car to exit a side road. Nursing handlebar bruised ribs she answered my admonishment by saying it wasn't safe for her to ride on the road- I told her it didn't feel 'expletive' safe for me on the pavement either

Why? No-one else does.

Would road-tax-for-cyclists encourage people to use their bikes for occasional short journeys? No, of course it won't. They'll carry on using their cars.

Will road-tax-for-cyclists raise any meaningful amount of money? Let's pretend 1 in5adults would be required to pay this tax, that's about 7million people. We'd raise about £70million quid, tops. (Which might not even cover the costs of bureaucracy)

Build a network of safe cycle routes, and you'll reap the benefits of improved national health, more money being spent locally, reduced congestion, and reduced cyclist/pedestrian conflict.

We've tried a car-first transport policy for 70.years. do you really think it's worked?

Edited by ads36

I agree with more cycle routes but my cyclist colleagues tell me these often slow them down by crossing pedestrian walkways and they use pavements...

Sheffield's cycle-routes, are almost entirely rubbish.

There are a *few* decent stretches, here and there, but they don't join up.

Cycling around this great city often requires creativity, as cycle routes have a nasty habit of disappearing just where they're needed most, and or directing the un-witting rider into exactly the most dangerous positions.

What's stopping you making more journeys by bike?

Please can I be excused for the following reasons

a} I never learned to ride a bike

b} following an ear operation I have poor balance

c} At 64 I've got dodgy hips and struggle to walk up hills let alone cycle

d} Too many bulges for lycra

e} Hair style bad enough without wearing helmet

f} Like to deal with stress of going to and from work by reading my book on the tram -might be a hazard doing this on a bike

Go on let me off!

Edited by catmiss
include quote

Could it just be that cyclists dont give a dam about traffic rules /law they just do what they want and then say in forums like this that they dont break the law ,all cyclists that I have come across on the roads break all the rules

---------- Post added 15-08-2018 at 23:32 ----------

What about insurance for when you knock someone down on the pavement

Could it just be that cyclists dont give a dam about traffic rules /law they just do what they want and then say in forums like this that they dont break the law ,all cyclists that I have come across on the roads break all the rules

---------- Post added 15-08-2018 at 23:32 ----------

What about insurance for when you knock someone down on the pavement

What about insurance for when a pedestrian steps off the pavement without looking and knocks me off my bike?

I agree with more cycle routes but my cyclist colleagues tell me these often slow them down by crossing pedestrian walkways and they use pavements as they are quicker than getting stuck behind busses and trams on the road

I see people riding on pavements as I cycle home, invariably I'm overtaking them, on the road.

I really don't understand these people, most of the time they're on the pavement next to a quiet and wide road, so about as safe as it can be regarding traffic.

Perhaps all pavements should be designated as shared, but bikes shouldn't go faster than a jogging person, I'd still stay on the road for the majority of the time.

---------- Post added 16-08-2018 at 08:38 ----------

I think it's more likely that you suffer from confirmation bias and a chip on your shoulder.

Cyclists are very much like motorists. I pay the same attention to the rules whichever I'm doing, but I do find it a lot easier to break the speed limit in a car!