Bunnings DIY Store struggling

Bunnings is massive here in Oz, does not just sell DIY, most women even love Bunnings as they have lots of household goods not to mention a massive plant nursery in all our stores. They are usually cheaper than anywhere else & easily exchange goods. Both male & female seem to like Bunning Gift Vouchers for presents as well. It seems odd that they haven't done well in the UK in comparison to Oz. I am quite amazed.

I read somewhere that they changed the British management to all Australian who didn't understand that the UK shopper is different to the Oz version.

Some of the things mentioned were that in store concessions like Laura Ashley were done away with, that the displays/layout were 'overstuffed' which reminded UK shoppers of downmarket stores and charity shops, and 'outdoor lifestyle' products like top of the range barbecues, outdoor kitchens, and expensive hot tubs were being relentlessly pushed, in a country where the weather is 'problematic' to say the least.

I don't know, I've never been in Bunnings, but I do know people who adore the Oz shop. Don't they also have classes and children's play areas in the Australian version? That sounds like a very good idea. I don't know if that made it over here.

Edited by Anna B

It sounds like they should have more people working there that as you say, know the culture of the people they are dealing with. The actual building itself of all Bunnings stores are massive to begin with, so certainly no overcrowding regarding stock. Yes most do have a small playground area for kids, also a cafe in the store for coffeee, cake, sausage rolls etc. Great range of things like light fittings, all bathroom fittings, complete kitchens which you can either fit yourself or pay Bunnings to do the job. Agree with you that hardly appropriate to be pushing things like BBQ's & outdoor furniture. Massive garden sections. Paints, laundry items, honestly they seem to sell almost everything here, which is why I am so surprised they are not doing well in the UK. Time they woke up to themselves hey?

The shops are probably smaller over here, they're not small places but with some being near city centres or on retail estates they will only be so big.

It's a very saturated market already, you'd need a clever business plan to achieve success.

Looks like the Bunnings store that opened on the site of B&Q at Parkgate won't be around for long.

The Australian owners are looking to offload the UK side of the brand, (they also own Homebase).

Which leaves only B&Q and Wickes

In which case Wickes, locally wins hands down, I can't be doing with our local B&Q since it changed management staff sometime ago.