Waterstones bought by US Hedge Fund fun

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43903920

Although its supposed to be doing well this bit of the article jumped out at me.

He said Waterstones was opening more shops at the moment, because the retail downturn was leaving empty space in desirable locations which the book chain could snap up.

Normally Waterstones aims to open about 10 shops a year.

However, investment from Elliott combined with greater availability of store space meant he expected the chain to open "a lot more now", he added.

Is that wise? i presume they know what their doing, but a lot of the recent crashes have been because some companies have far too many stores, in expensive rent areas and get too big, and too complicated.

Also books is one of the main rivals on the internet now with Amazon being the biggest, and also the rise of the kindle and E books too.

I've not bought a new book from a High Street shop in years.

Like others, they're useful for browsing, but then you go and buy it online.

Had to buy a book at christmas for the missuses mum in Waterstones in Middlesbrough, blimey that was hard lol, walked round looking 4 times, in the end had to ask an assistant, it was in a small thin section on the end of an aisle.

And yet Waterstones have bucked the high street trend lately, so they presumably have some idea of what they are doing, and people must shop there.

The problem is, if people use shops like this & then buy online they will go out of business.

I always buy my books from the store, unless it's something i can't find and have to order it online. Love waterstones, love being surrounded by books, i like the fact that you can sit and stay a while and read. The stores are laid out brilliantly and you are able to find what you're looking for straight away. I also like to browse other books that i wouldnt have thought of buying..

The staff are always lovely and knowledgable and i have LOADS of points on my loyalty card which i always cash in at xmas time to buy books for my mum :)

WHSmiths on the otherhand is shocking!

I always buy my books from the store, unless it's something i can't find and have to order it online. Love waterstones, love being surrounded by books, i like the fact that you can sit and stay a while and read. The stores are laid out brilliantly and you are able to find what you're looking for straight away. I also like to browse other books that i wouldnt have thought of buying..

The staff are always lovely and knowledgable and i have LOADS of points on my loyalty card which i always cash in at xmas time to buy books for my mum :)

WHSmiths on the otherhand is shocking!

I agree with this.