Get out and start spending

If we want the streets in future to be ruled over by feral gangs and the only people outside are delivery drivers in armoured vans then we are going in the right direction.

We need to get off our <removed> and go do some work.

I was first online in the 80s when it cost an absolute fortune. £100 for a modem, same or more for the computer. Then there was your monthly subscription and phone charges.

If you were online in 1993 surely you would have also paid for a subscription before Freeserve came along?

Prices of modems dropped fast between eighties and early nineties

I didn't live in uk then and free serve had just arrived where I was.

Edited by dutch

when I first came here 20 years ago prices in stores were 200% inflated and it was £50 cheaper to fly to New York and back to buy a stereo than getting same stereo in meadowhall.

Ummm, really?

I recall buying a very good hifi system after I graduated, and it certainly didnt cost anything like the figures you seem to expect. What sort of hifi system are you thinking about?

---------- Post added 30-04-2018 at 17:40 ----------

Prices of modems dropped fast between eighties and early nineties

I didn't live in uk then and free serve had just arrived where I was.

Freeserve didn't start until 1998.... it was certainly not the early 90's.

I know from personal experience in the past that people often don't live within their means and go out and spend money they haven't got, maxing out credit cards and store cards etc.

Ummm, really?

I recall buying a very good hifi system after I graduated, and it certainly didnt cost anything like the figures you seem to expect. What sort of hifi system are you thinking about?

It was a Sony. I was shocked by the prices here on my first visit to meadow hall. It has gotten lot better with internet making people see what same things cost abroad. It costed more in pounds here as in dollars abroad at the time the pound got round two dollar.

A student will not buy that in meadow hall, neither will I. It was such a shock at the time my first week here seeing how much English asked for these things i will never forget that.

.......I have always bought trade/bottom line as long as I can remember!.......why would I want to buy anything that has a High Street markup which it has to add to goods to pay for business rents and rates which drive lots of businesses into the ground eventually,plus staff wages of course.More and more people will swerve these overheads if possible and buy as near to the bottom line as possible.

At least 60% of retail businesses on the high street are only Chinese warehouses anyway as is Meadowhall!

I was first online in the 80s when it cost an absolute fortune. £100 for a modem, same or more for the computer. Then there was your monthly subscription and phone charges.

If you were online in 1993 surely you would have also paid for a subscription before Freeserve came along?

The Internet wasn't open to the public until 1991, how were you on in the 80's unless you were part of the DoD, or DARPA, or one of the universities that were involved? ;)

Unless you mean directly remote dialling a server to get it's services, but then that's not really the internet, it's literally just direct connection...

Just spent £1200 on a camera. Something Poundland doesn't sell and it was the cheapest online. Let shops close if they are uncompetitive.

Sometimes, wouldn't you like to hold the camera, try it out to get a feel for it before you commit to buy? same with jeans and shoes etc?

Another retailer Pound World has announced it's intent to close a quarter of it's shops in the UK.

This follows on from announcement from other high street retailers this year allong similar lines. Many retailers blaming the internet and on-line shopping for the reduction in footfall.

If we want the streets in future to be ruled over by ferral gangs and the only people outside are delivery drivers in armoured vans then we are going in the right direction. We need to get off our <removed> and go to the shops, go for a pint, talk to real people. Becauase if we don't the future is bleak. On-line will destroy communities and the economy because on-line isn't real.

Read this, then switch it off and go out. I'll see you in the pub later...

Well in the new retail quarter in Sheffield our planners are building new banking offices while at the same time leaving the old one that is in a perfect position at West Bar empty ,still they can convert that place to even more student flats ,good planning int it.

Edited by Albert smith

The Internet wasn't open to the public until 1991, how were you on in the 80's unless you were part of the DoD, or DARPA, or one of the universities that were involved? ;)

Unless you mean directly remote dialling a server to get it's services, but then that's not really the internet, it's literally just direct connection...

There were plenty of predcessors - Micronet, Compunet to name just two. It had forums, live chat rooms, gaming, downloads, and so on, much more than just a "direct connection to a server".