Unbelievable law

A drug addict will do almost anything if he/she does not get their drugs, so the answer to that is either give them free drugs or help them to kick the habit.

Below is just a headline, I have no knowledge of drug programs.

Drug and alcohol treatment funding slashed across England by 16% in four years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/spending-on-drug-and-alcohol-treatment-slashed-by-105m-in-four-years-a7912531.html

He wasn't doing anything to get drugs. He was already high and knowingly, whilst banned, drove a car.

I support the idea of legalisation, but I can't see how it would have helped in this case.

---------- Post added 29-04-2018 at 21:10 ----------

No you can't prevent 'people' from being idiots but this scumbag would have been inside at the time if the judiciary wasn't so soft on repeat offenders.

Would he?

He had just been released, he HAD been inside.

Even now he's got off with far less than the law allows. Compounded with the deceit that he'll be away for nine years, the boys' family must feel totally let down by the system.

9 out of a possible 15, I'm not sure why the sentence isn't higher, but I don't think it's a problem of the judiciary being soft.

• 3 weeks later...

The father of these two boys who were killed has been found dead in a hotel room in Corfu. The police say they are not treating his death as suspicious. Not sure how he died, but I suspect the death of his sons has something to do with it.

I feel sorry for the rest of the family.

The father of these two boys who were killed has been found dead in a hotel room in Corfu. The police say they are not treating his death as suspicious. Not sure how he died, but I suspect the death of his sons has something to do with it.

I feel sorry for the rest of the family.

Awful case.

The court system has failed in this case IMO.

People moan about Police traffic work but in this case they have repeatedly caught a persistent offender and the court system has allowed him to be free to commit this offence that has wrecked so many lives.

Of course the offender is to blame but if someone with this blatant disregard for the law repeatedly appears in court for these types of offences they should be locked up for an increasingly severe amount of time, otherwise this can happen.

If you aren't a "do gooder", do you self identify as doing bad?

---------- Post added 18-05-2018 at 18:47 ----------

Awful case.

The court system has failed in this case IMO.

People moan about Police traffic work but in this case they have repeatedly caught a persistent offender and the court system has allowed him to be free to commit this offence that has wrecked so many lives.

He had served time. And was then released, that's how it generally works, even for murderers, and he wasn't at that point a murderer.

I think people's anger and screaming indignation is for the fact that he had so many previous convictions. Instead of treating each crime as a one off, which means 30 - 100 crimes are only punished by the maximum for each crime, maybe there should be an overarching policy whereby if you are a serial recidivist, which this bloke was, then you just put away for an indertiminate time until you can prove you are no longer a threat to society.

I think people's anger and screaming indignation is for the fact that he had so many previous convictions. Instead of treating each crime as a one off, which means 30 - 100 crimes are only punished by the maximum for each crime, maybe there should be an overarching policy whereby if you are a serial recidivist, which this bloke was, then you just put away for an indertiminate time until you can prove you are no longer a threat to society.

They have tried indeterminate sentencing - IPP - it failed, miserably. You should have a google search.

There are sentencing powers available to lock people up until they are deemed fit to be released - then we had the Worboys fiasco -

Politicians are not fit nor able to produce coherent sentencing powers for the courts to use - they keep moving the goal posts to suit whoever they want to appeal to by way of voters.

Tough on criminals is far more complicated than lock em up and throw the key away.

It is very expensive for a start and we all know how unpopular spending money on criminals is.