Sainsbury's and Asda in merger talks

They allowed the Booker and Tesco merger without fuss so maybe this one will just be waved through too..

I would agree.

Tesco already has a market share nearly double its nearest rival and the take over of Booker Wholesale increased their dominance even more.

The only way to allow the others to have a chance of competing with a power like that would be some sort of merger.

Although I am very surprised it was a Sainsburys/Asda tie up. They really dont seem quite compatable somehow.

Don't forget Sainsbury also owns Argos as well so maybe it might be stopped. Think it said on Friday that they weren't saying anymore till Monday morning so will be interesting to see what statement comes out from them tomorrow.

It won’t be stopped, but there will be conditions attached. It will most likely force them to sell dozens if not hundreds of stores.

Sainsburys has been quietly closing stores, the smaller express type ones. The one in my village closed yesterday and the one near my mum's went a week ago.

I wonder what will happen at Crystal peaks. There's a large asda recently built and the Sainsburys inside the shopping centre.

Sainsburys has been quietly closing stores, the smaller express type ones. The one in my village closed yesterday and the one near my mum's went a week ago.

I wonder what will happen at Crystal peaks. There's a large asda recently built and the Sainsburys inside the shopping centre.

Same at my end of town.

Asda Chapeltown, Asda Parsons Cross, Asda Catch Bar Lane and Sainsburys Wadsley Bridge.

I suspect at least one of them will have to go. An Asda branch most likely.

Having said that, there seems to be a Coop on every other street and Tesco has approx 6500 stores which is more than 3x Sainsburys and Asda combined so maybe they will all be able to survive.

Edited by ECCOnoob