Question about Ebikes/power assist bikes.

I'm considering buying an Ebike or power assisted bike, whatever they're called.

I'm Looking to maybe spend around £1000.

My question is how hardy are the motors on them, what is the longevity of them? I have a roughly 12 mile round trip 5 days a week, and although there are plenty of flat and downhill sections of my commute which I wont be using the power assist for, I still wonder weather I'm going to be overworking the bikes motor and wearing it out prematurely due to the frequency I'll be using it.

Be aware they are heavy and even flat and steady gradients without power assist are a lot harder than a normal bike, I think the energy expended on a ride is similar to a non power assist however on hills they come into their own and are fantastic.

My commute is similar and one charge will do a weeks commuting although I have noticed a reduction of late in the battery capacity, 3+ years ownership.

The batteries are expensive and with the upsurge in models and designs may be difficult to replace when the time comes.

The motor has been no problem but I have had a couple of chains and a crank set.

Take a look at South Yorkshire Electric Bikes.

Edited by Thorpist

Be aware they are heavy and even flat and steady gradients without power assist are a lot harder than a normal bike, I think the energy expended on a ride is similar to a non power assist however on hills they come into their own and are fantastic.

If the OP is used to regular cycling, the batteries on an ebike make it a different experience.

My commute is similar and one charge will do a weeks commuting although I have noticed a reduction of late in the battery capacity, 3+ years ownership.

The batteries are expensive and with the upsurge in models and designs may be difficult to replace when the time comes.

The motor has been no problem but I have had a couple of chains and a crank set.

Take a look at South Yorkshire Electric Bikes.

Thanks for your post.

Regarding weight, one E bike bike I've had my eye on, a mountain bike style one, is actually surprisingly light.

I'm not intending to overuse it and abuse the power assist on flats and downhills because I don't want it to last a few months and it clap out on me, so its Reassuring to know that you've had yours for three years.

---------- Post added 06-05-2018 at 09:06 ----------

Edited by Guest

Not all electric bikes are direct chain driven. Some drive mechanisms are mounted on the front hub such as the Brompton.

I've got my eye on this one https://www.themanual.com/outdoors/jetson-electric-bike/

As the review says it’s not an electrically powered vehicle, per say; the power only kicks on when you are actively pedaling (and stops as soon as you cease pushing on the pedals). The bike assists your efforts, rather than propelling you along by itself.

Not sure what Thorpist is experiencing but I have used a number of ebikes and a decent one isnt a drag - the closest I had was maybe one of the posh £2.5k centre drive ones, I had one and didnt really get on with it for commuting

My current bike is a decent quality 26" wheel MTB which I converted myself - added 3kg of weight to a decently lightweight bike. Totally different ride to the cheap 25kg things you can see

Suggest you go to pedelec forum, its excellent

Decent kits start around £400 to add to your own bike. Kudos are a decent brand in the field and sell spares like batteries at sensible prices - I personally would be wary of the big manufacturers, the Steps battery for the centre drive bike I had was about £600 on its own. The Bosch drive bikes also have a shocking reputation for failed bottom bracket bearings

Another thing worth doing is give Recycled Bikes a call, they adminster the Sheffield Council fleet of ebikes

FWIW I think ebikes in Sheffield are a truly excellent idea, wouldnt change mine for the world - its a shame the roads are so poor, this winter I have had broken spokes, bent wheels, bent pannier rack, broken mudguards - all thanks to some amazingly bad Sheffield road surfaces!

Edited by Skink