Kurds are not wanted in Northern Syria

the Kurds have a better ethnolinguistic claim than the Palestinian Arabs have to their own state, who are not much different or distinctive, to the other Arabs of the Levant. Like Israeli Jews, Kurds have are a different ethnicity, and speak a different, although similar language to the Arabs. They are also surrounded by enemies/adversaries like Israel. No wonder the two of them, Israelis and Kurds, clearly have a kinship. Kurds may be almost all Muslims, but that doesn't mean they kneejerk support the Palestinians as opposed to the Israelis. Some of them probably do. But it seems that most of them definitely do not.

But we're are faffing about over there, the Kurds are fighting IS on the ground, something that we don't want to do (but we want IS gone) - we won't supply them with weapons (not the cool stuff anyway) we are happy to watch turkey etc kill them once they've done our dirty work. It's wrong.

I completely agree. The next time May or someone else tells us we should back some military action because "it's the right thing to do" we should remember that the same people have no moral problem in getting a group of people to help out the Western powers when it matters and then abandon them to their fate once it's job done, in deference to their dictator allies.

It probably doesn't help the that you have:

Turkish Kurds - PPK

Syrian Kurds - PYD

YPG - Armed force aligned to the PYD

Iraqi Kurds - KRG; Pashmerga; KDP.

All seem to want to run the show & all are apparently quite prepared to sell the others down the river & use each other as political bargaining chips.

---------- Post added 08-05-2018 at 20:38 ----------

Does anyone remember Jeffrey Archer's involvement with their struggle for independence around the early 1990's?

internal Kurdish politics has been a quagmire for years - it is not anything especially new, or particular to the Syria war.

My Kurdish Oppressor by Hoshang Waziri

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/04/16/my-kurdish-oppressor/

a Kurdish state very probably isn't going to happen. But even if it does, with it being in the Middle East, the cards are stacked against it and it likely wouldn't turn out to be anything much in particular to celebrate.

Remind us, then: just why are there Iranian targets in Syria ?

Could it be Iran's meddling, by any chance?

Iran are helping Syria and Russia?

Israel are poking their nose in on the other side, as is Turkey with the Kurds

Iran are helping Syria and Russia?

Israel are poking their nose in on the other side, as is Turkey with the Kurds

Difference: at least two of the countries cited wish to eliminate one of the other countries cited. I wonder which it could be...

Difference: at least two of the countries cited wish to eliminate one of the other countries cited. I wonder which it could be...

sigh

thats not the point, THIS is about Syria NOT what either of the other countries thinks of either. In any case Israel if it is true cannot and should not be committing an act of self defense BEFORE theres even any self defense needed. It looks to me that the US AND Israel have it in for Iran and theyve not even done anything to warrent such an attack.