Cars and Motorbikes -Why have Loud Exhausts??

My car came from the factory with a button to make the exhaust noisier, I use it sometimes, it's a bit of fun. Has a nice growl, and pops and bangs on the overrun.

Impressed my mates way more than my wife or female friends, they don't seem to get it, or just don't care.

I have quite a loud exhaust because I got sick of the maintenance costs and difficulty of obtaining mild steel exhaust bits for an old car. It worked out cheaper to have a stainless system made up that's louder than normal but much longer lasting.

There are laws and regulations governing this subject, but they are rarely enforced, so most folk think they can get away with doing what they like.

Clearly so because, 'The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986, part 54 regarding silencers states:

'Silencers

54.—(1) Every vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be fitted with an exhaust system including a silencer and the exhaust gases from the engine shall not escape into the atmosphere without first passing through the silencer.

(2) Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases.'

Clearly so because, 'The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986, part 54 regarding silencers states:

'Silencers

54.—(1) Every vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be fitted with an exhaust system including a silencer and the exhaust gases from the engine shall not escape into the atmosphere without first passing through the silencer.

(2) Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases.'

when I was motor testing provided the exhaust was securely fitted and had no leakage of gasses it passed its mot no matter how loud it was , it would be very difficult to make noise a testable item as a standard test would have to apply .

---------- Post added 09-05-2018 at 14:00 ----------

My car came from the factory with a button to make the exhaust noisier, I use it sometimes, it's a bit of fun. Has a nice growl, and pops and bangs on the overrun.

Impressed my mates way more than my wife or female friends, they don't seem to get it, or just don't care.

never seen one what make and model was that

I saw a scooter going through hillsborough yesterday making a right racket. So noisy. I just had to laugh at the lad on it, pathetic!! Do they do something to the exhausts to make that noise or are they sold like that?

Aye, inside the exhaust are baffle plates, designed to quieten the noise. When you knock these out (as we all did) then you have a seriously noisy exhaust note. Makes a Honda 90cc sound like a 500cc bike.

Angel1.

Aye, inside the exhaust are baffle plates, designed to quieten the noise. When you knock these out (as we all did) then you have a seriously noisy exhaust note. Makes a Honda 90cc sound like a 500cc bike.

Angel1.

Many years ago with my little Honda 125 4 stroke I had a crack on the exhaust downtube, that rusted and then it blew one morning right though. The noise was indescribably loud, I was shocked at just how much racket a little engine could make.

Angel1.

no, it makes it sound like a crappy little engine with the baffles knocked out.

I have quite a loud exhaust because I got sick of the maintenance costs and difficulty of obtaining mild steel exhaust bits for an old car. It worked out cheaper to have a stainless system made up that's louder than normal but much longer lasting.
Standard 'upgrading' maintenance on older Subarus at the time (pre-hawkeye generation, before 2006), for the exact same reason. You'd swear the factory units were made of tin plate. I went for an entry-level Magnex full stainless line & exhaust every time. Louder than OEM, but not that noticeably so.

I've had a rattly baffle in the MX-5 exhaust for a decade at least (only rattling -lightly- at around 3k rpm), it's never failed an MOT for it. Doesn't make the exhaust any noiser whatsoever. I don't think any aftermarket exhaust could make the 1.8 sound any nicer (smile-for-pound ratio), I'd sooner transplant a V6 or a V8 in it tbh.

Edited by L00b