Resolution Foundation. Increase Pensioner Tax

I think the context to this is to reduce 'inter generational conflict.'

There has been a lot of discussion about the advantages that some of the 'baby boomer' generation had (in terms of pensions, employment, education etc) over subsequent generations.

There are a number of proposals in the report that are worthy of consideration....

I can't see this report being implemented in full though.

Before Mr Willett destroys the Tory pensioner* vote it might be an idea to get some (a lot of) money out of those companies that avoid their tax.

It might come as a shock for him to discover that house purchase for us OAPs came through hard work and saving.

It's never been easy.

*not that I am one.

How would this be put into practice, I can only think of a two tier tax-free allowance system? Would this be classed as ageism, or just a stupid idea that would never see the light of day?

We have already assisted our son in purchasing a property, to a far higher level than the suggested figure of £10K, must we now be forced to assist other people’s kids?

:loopy::loopy::loopy:

Before Mr Willett destroys the Tory pensioner* vote it might be an idea to get some (a lot of) money out of those companies that avoid their tax.

It might come as a shock for him to discover that house purchase for us OAPs came through hard work and saving.

It's never been easy.

*not that I am one.

Exactly. I know.that house prices were probably lower in proportion./ ratio to wages when we managed to secure our mortgage but it took close to 6 years of saving before we got on the property ladder.

---------- Post added 08-05-2018 at 16:39 ----------

I think.what we're really talking here is about people not being able to afford property in the overheated market of SE England?

Therefore a little more money spent on the economy north of Watford might re-adress the imbalance & encourage more jobs up here where there's cheaper housing.

Hilarious to look at the oldies popping up and declaring how it wasn't easier for them.

I'm well outside that age bracket of 25, but much younger than the boomers and even I can see that buying a house in 2001 when we did was an awful lot cheaper than it became a mere 6 years later and has stayed ever since.

Hilarious to look at the oldies popping up and declaring how it wasn't easier for them.

I'm well outside that age bracket of 25, but much younger than the boomers and even I can see that buying a house in 2001 when we did was an awful lot cheaper than it became a mere 6 years later and has stayed ever since.

Who has said that, or is my screen different to yours? I’ve never found making money that difficult, and I’ve lived long enough to enjoy spending quite a lot of it, how’s it been for you tiger? :hihi: