Resolution Foundation. Increase Pensioner Tax

It's a million, sorry missed a zero

The thing is I left school.without any qualifications, no university, no mobile phone and look at me now

Trolling Sheffield Forum as per usual although an element of delusion has been added.

Anyone remember manofstrad?

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but there aren’t any steelworks now really - they closed down.

As did a lot of the subsidiary engineering businesses.

So younger people couldn’t follow your particular route into a million house in a leafy suburb could they? Did you pay a million for it?

Think we paid around £120,000 back in 1997

But it's pro rata

Guest makapaka
Think we paid around £120,000 back in 1997

But it's pro rata

Well you’ve done an excellent job of showing why young people have it hard.

They can’t get a job in the steel industry like you did. And the house you were able to buy for 120000 which is now worth a million would probably get them a 2 bed terrace in some parts of town if they were lucky.

Robot or rather AI accountants are going to be better at avoiding tax not less so expect more of it.

Theres no ambiguities. Either something is illegal - and therefore evasion, or it's not illegal and therefore permitted. There may be "loopholes" but if the Govt wanted them closed they would. It's just that sometimes to enable tax breaks for one situation you also enable it for another...

If you watched the Panorama programme you would see that these people are openly evading tax and know it. The tax man also knows it, but doesn't seem able to do anything about it. The law knows it but doesn't want to do anything about it. You too seem to think it's fine to do this, that's what I can't understand.

These crooks are making a mockery of the law and laughing all the way to the bank. It's just the mugs like us that seem to have no choice about paying tax.

Guest makapaka
If you watched the Panorama programme you would see that these people are openly evading tax and know it. The tax man also knows it, but doesn't seem able to do anything about it. The law knows it but doesn't want to do anything about it. You too seem to think it's fine to do this, that's what I can't understand.

These crooks are making a mockery of the law and laughing all the way to the bank. It's just the mugs like us that seem to have no choice about paying tax.

You’re right of course - obelix is not factoring in the fact that the law is being broken at times but not enforced.

I've not seen Obelix suggest that evasion is okay.

Robot accountants aren't going to suddenly help HMRC with enforcement though, that's down to them and the government.

---------- Post added 14-05-2018 at 07:34 ----------

Well you’ve done an excellent job of showing why young people have it hard.

They can’t get a job in the steel industry like you did. And the house you were able to buy for 120000 which is now worth a million would probably get them a 2 bed terrace in some parts of town if they were lucky.

You know that anything rogets says is entirely fictional right?

Guest makapaka
I've not seen Obelix suggest that evasion is okay.

Robot accountants aren't going to suddenly help HMRC with enforcement though, that's down to them and the government.

---------- Post added 14-05-2018 at 07:34 ----------

You know that anything rogets says is entirely fictional right?

No - have I been trolled?:hihi:

I've not suggested evasion is OK - as well you know. In fact if you look above I explicity say that evasion is against the law and illegal. Why you therefore choose to imply I condone it is almost libellous Anna.

You've decided to answer once question with a hobbyhorse of yours - yet again. Try and debate reasonably - this thread started off with a discussion of a new tax policy but - yet again - you've moved on to banging on about tax evasion which almost everyone on here agrees is wrong.

So lets try and debate the original point shall we?