Teachers having days off in term

So the other day I found out that one of my child’s teachers will not be working tomorrow. Not necessarily a big deal, it happens. I was slightly curious however what for and in the beginning they were very reluctant to say. However I did eventually find out from a secretary that it was for the teachers birthday.

I have to say this made me rather angry. Yes teachers work hard and have enough on their plate sometimes. But they also have lots of holiday time plus training days etc. Of course they are not allowed to have time off whenever they want like most other people. However having a day off for their birthday to me seems completely wrong for many reasons.

For one if I was to take my child out on his birthday I would get told off for letting him miss school for no reason.

Secondly, the day off is an extra day not working that they don’t have to pay back. If I have a day off it comes out of my alloted days. If I want more days I have to have it unpaid.

I could easily forgive an extra day off here or there maybe to attend a family wedding etc. But for me a day off just for a Birthday is a big no no.

I would love to hear your opinions.

I find this very hard to believe unless there are some very exceptional circumstances. I've never come across it.

Taken at face value, I think I too would be annoyed for all the reasons you state.

Maybe she is owed some holiday / time off for some reason, though I can't think why?

My opinion is that you need to lighten up. Nothing wrong with taking a day off to celebrate a birthday, many people do.

They're not a child so they're not required by law to attend school. It's a job, not indentured servitude. If they ask their employer to take a single day during term time and the school agrees and is happy to provide cover then what's the problem? Your kid is still getting taught by a teacher. It's not like your kid is being left on their own for the day.

My opinion is that you need to lighten up. Nothing wrong with taking a day off to celebrate a birthday, many people do.

They're not a child so they're not required by law to attend school. It's a job, not indentured servitude. If they ask their employer to take a single day during term time and the school agrees and is happy to provide cover then what's the problem? Your kid is still getting taught by a teacher. It's not like your kid is being left on their own for the day.

Normally I would agree with you, but a lot of resentment has been created by the government's hard line attitude to children taking time off, with fines etc imposed for holidays in term time.

Can't blame parents for feeling there's one rule for one etc.

I've worked in schools for about a decade now and have never come across a teacher getting annual leave for a birthday; most likely explanation is it's time accrued or in lieu.

As Funky_Gibbon has already pointed out it's like the OP's child is going to be teacherless anyway, so my view is that the OP is fretting unnecessarily.

I would be a little concerned about a school secretary giving out such information to a parent.

A school should have a written leave of absence policy.

I would recommend asking to see it, and if you have any concerns consider becoming a Parent Governor.

Normally I would agree with you, but a lot of resentment has been created by the government's hard line attitude to children taking time off, with fines etc imposed for holidays in term time.

Can't blame parents for feeling there's one rule for one etc.

That’s more my problem with this, my child is in year 8 so I’m not too fussed about them maybe missing a lesson and they probably do have something in place for cover.

I can understand why some people are like, why can’t they have a day off for birthdays, a lot of people do. I just feel that when you go into a profession such as teaching or even nursing maybe. Unfortunately you don’t get to pick when you can have time off. If the teacher has any accrued time obviously I couldn’t say.

If a teacher needs to take time off during term time they need inform the head teacher.

There is a list of events where permission would be granted eg. medical, dental, funeral of close relative, moving house, jury service, graduation of a child. Pay is at the discretion of the head teacher.

Examination and training events critical to the schools activities sometimes take place at weekends or during that particular schools' holidays. Time off might occur in lieu of pay.

Other events can be sanctioned by writing to the Governors.

This includes time off in lieu when on school business.

As notice is given it is normal for outside cover to be provided, but in reality other teachers at the school would often lose their contact time. This has always been a good way of teachers self regulating.

Headteachers are responsible to the Governors and to Ofsted for monitoring and managing staff absence. The figures are in the public domain and a factor in performance related pay.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

If you can let us have the schools name and the secretary we can advise the head of the lack of confidentiality at the school.

Then perhaps the new replacement secretary will keep it quiet.

The school has to provide cover-as long as that occurred it fulfilled its obligation to your child.