Teachers having days off in term

If you can let us have the schools name and the secretary we can advise the head of the lack of confidentiality at the school.

Then perhaps the new replacement secretary will keep it quiet.

The school has to provide cover-as long as that occurred it fulfilled its obligation to your child.

There is no chance of that happening, for obvious reasons. Heck I could give out the teachers name and point to the Facebook account showing that teacher having a long weekend. But again I’m not going to do that.

I was only trying to gauge people’s opinion which to my surprise seems to be rather split.

Here you go, teachers are allowed to have time off for their birthday, should they wish to do so.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiJrdu5lP3aAhWKAMAKHalbCeMQFggsMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Flocal.teachers.org.uk%2Ftemplates%2Fasset-relay.cfm%3FfrmAssetFileID%3D9127&usg=AOvVaw1BYlO_dizdB0Grv_rRYzb6*

*assuming leave policies are the same throughout the country.

There is no chance of that happening, for obvious reasons. Heck I could give out the teachers name and point to the Facebook account showing that teacher having a long weekend. But again I’m not going to do that.

I was only trying to gauge people’s opinion which to my surprise seems to be rather split.

Why?

Yours and my opinion isn't important. Facebook is irrelevant you've publicly stated that the secretary potentially breached school rules by giving out confidential information.

Should you not be more concerned about potential of the secretary giving out your childs whereabouts or home address or when you were at work. They obviously aren't fit for the job.

Here you go, teachers are allowed to have time off for their birthday, should they wish to do so

I can’t quote the link

*assuming leave policies are the same throughout the country.

Who would have thought teachers got so much annual leave. I just assumed they had time off when the kids did.

Who would have thought teachers got so much annual leave. I just assumed they had time off when the kids did.

Actually I've re-read that.

"In accordance with the School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document, annual leave for teachers coincides with periods of School closure and public holidays."

It is difficult to have an opinion on rumour, gossip and hearsay.

There are just too many unknowns here. What did the "text"/e-mail/letter actually say?

If "birthday holidays" were allowed it would create an awful atmosphere in the staffroom and at the school gate. It would lead to some teachers always getting a birthday holiday and some never, some teachers would not take it either as a "day off" still means preparation, planning, marking, setting and instructing.

If a fully qualified teacher on a permanent full time contract got the Governors permission to take a day off without no other reason than that it was their birthday you should ask the Chair of Governors directly. The Union rep. would also like to know as setting precedents like this is unfair.

Normally I would agree with you, but a lot of resentment has been created by the government's hard line attitude to children taking time off, with fines etc imposed for holidays in term time.

Can't blame parents for feeling there's one rule for one etc.

Parents are legally obliged to ensure attendance.

As far as i'm aware days off etc are at the discretion of management on most jobs in accordance with job contracts.

I find this very hard to believe unless there are some very exceptional circumstances.

Same. Only personal reasons for a day off other than illness of themselves or a relative is to move house, which I don't agree with.

Here you go, teachers are allowed to have time off for their birthday, should they wish to do so.

That's not an official nationwide policy though.

We're all assuming the school secretary was telling the truth ,maybe she/he thought the real reason was none of the business of the OP and saying it was for a birthday was an "easy out" ..

We're all also assuming that the opening poster is telling the truth...