We are all poorer, much poorer

The TUC has published data which shows that real wages are still below what they were before the financial scandal of 2008, explaining that workers in Britain are experiencing the longest squeeze in real incomes in modern history.

The number of teachers working in state-funded schools in England has fallen to its lowest level since 2013; and pupil numbers are increasing.

So austerity is having an efect. Is education the right sector to be cutting?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44648438

The number of teachers working in state-funded schools in England has fallen to its lowest level since 2013; and pupil numbers are increasing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44648438

I cant see any explanation though as to why those numbers are falling only that its mainly qualified teachers that are quitting. Until then it is hard to say that the numbers are down because of austerity.

I cant see any explanation though as to why those numbers are falling only that its mainly qualified teachers that are quitting. Until then it is hard to say that the numbers are down because of austerity.

The usual reasons are paperwork, long hours doing preparation and unruly children. It will be interesting to see if the unions blame increased class sizes as a result of fewer teachers.

Its all a vicious circle though. Schools gloss over problems and work extra hard to get a good OFSTED rating. OFSTED visit for two days and don't see an issue. I've known schools prepare for an Ofsted by staying open through the night just so teachers can catch up and the caretakers can get busy with the repairs that could never regularly be afforded. Like the Queen, Ofsted inspectors must think kids smell like paint.

Until one takes a stand and doesn't produce immaculate books and paperwork, it will just continue.

Edited by alchresearch

Class sizes going up and teacher numbers going down? It would be good to have more information though, many are educated privately, is that affecting the decline in teacher numbers.

Class sizes going up and teacher numbers going down? It would be good to have more information though, many are educated privately, is that affecting the decline in teacher numbers.

I couldn’t get past Sainsburys petrol station on Archer Road yesterday, they had reduced their fuel price by 1 pence per litre under Tesco’s, folk were queuing right through the lights stop area. Some of them driving larger cars could have saved circa 70 pence, they must be worried about their wallets.

I couldn’t get past Sainsburys petrol station on Archer Road yesterday, they had reduced their fuel price by 1 pence per litre under Tesco’s, folk were queuing right through the lights stop area. Some of them driving larger cars could have saved circa 70 pence, they must be worried about their wallets.
.........and your point is?

Imagined poverty, and I’d got you down as one of the brighter sparks.
.......not acting frugal then? I possibly like you know quite a number of wealthy types and without exception they all love a bargain and hate wasting money!...........of course that's how some get the reputation of being tight barstewards!;)

The TUC has published data which shows that real wages are still below what they were before the financial scandal of 2008, explaining that workers in Britain are experiencing the longest squeeze in real incomes in modern history. The term 'real wages' takes account of the impact of inflation, going up when wages are rising faster than average prices in the shops. According to the TUC real wages increased by 27% in the decade before the 2008 scandal, but in the decade since they have actually fallen by 4%. The TUC calculates that by 2025 every worker will be £18,500 worse off on average. But the government says inflation is falling and unemployment is at a forty year low, and sought to argue that the new higher national living wage had boosted pay for the lowest earners by more than £2000. Well, the government are simply trying to confuse oranges and apples, their claims are utterly irrelevant to the TUC's point.

The reality is that the government cannot deny such claims. In fact tory ministers will secretly be rejoicing at such news, citing it as confirmation that their ideological imposition of austerity is working just as planned - facilitating the transfer of wealth from ordinary people into the pockets of the multinational tax abusers while vital public services atrophy and workers public and private alike suffer demoralisation, exploitation and poverty.

Neoliberalism is for and by the one per-cent, at the expense of everyone else.

10/10. Go to the top of the class