We are all poorer, much poorer

Not true.

https://fullfact.org/economy/how-have-wages-changed/ (from Oct 2017)

"Low-paid earners have seen the fastest average wage growth since 2014: the lowest-earning 10% of workers saw their average pay rise by over 12%, compared to under 5% for middle and high earners."

This from your own link:

'The average real wage is lower now than it was 10 years ago'

This from your own link:

'The average real wage is lower now than it was 10 years ago'

Yes I know. I read it..

That wasn't the point I was making tho. You said the people that have been benefiting from pay rises tend to be the better off people. I pointed out that is incorrect, and it the lowest paid that have seen their average wages increase more than the other demographics.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-numbers-of-low-paid-workers-to-get-above-inflation-pay-increase

Yes I know. I read it..

That wasn't the point I was making tho. You said the people that have been benefiting from pay rises tend to be the better off people. I pointed out that is incorrect, and it the lowest paid that have seen their average wages increase more than the other demographics.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-numbers-of-low-paid-workers-to-get-above-inflation-pay-increase

The point I was making is that 2% of £40,000 is a lot more than 2% of £10,000.

Add to that that jobs paying £10,000 tend not to be secure or are 0 hours, or weren't paying minimum wage in the first place and got caught.

The point I was making is that 2% of £40,000 is a lot more than 2% of £10,000.

Add to that that jobs paying £10,000 tend not to be secure or are 0 hours, or weren't paying minimum wage in the first place and got caught.

But the lowest paid haven't had 2% rises, they've had 12% rises.

What? All of the low paid?

Anybody on SF had a 12% pay rise?

Please tell us about it.

Who said it was all the low paid? The article I quoted clearly stated the lowest 10% of earners saw an average rise in pay of over 12%. I even bolded the word average to try and avoid obfuscation.

The minimum wage has increased in the last 10 years, with above inflation rises, and the introduction of the higher rate national living wage for over 25s has meant that - as the information I linked to clearly said - the lowest 10% of earners have seen their average pay rise by over 12%.

You can dispute it with personal experience if you like, but as we've discussed many times before, facts and statistics matter, and you can't claim they aren't true just because you don't agree with them, or because you know someone who for whatever reason saw a below average increase. That doesn't change the facts.

Here are the words of the Office for National Statistics: 'Many millions of people still have incomes below where they were a decade ago'. In fact they give a figure of £730 less per year today than in 2007 when the financial scandal broke.

Austerity is working - public services in pieces and ordinary people struggling real financial hardship while the tax cheats laugh all the way to the British Virgin Islands!

Here are the words of the Office for National Statistics: 'Many millions of people still have incomes below where they were a decade ago'. In fact they give a figure of £730 less per year today than in 2007 when the financial scandal broke.

Austerity is working - public services in pieces and ordinary people struggling real financial hardship while the tax cheats laugh all the way to the British Virgin Islands!

Exactly. And everyone is poorer. What people fail to realise, for example, is that they are only one accident away from needing social services, only to find they are no longer there....

Exactly. And everyone is poorer. What people fail to realise, for example, is that they are only one accident away from needing social services, only to find they are no longer there....

Really? Everyone is poorer are they?

Those annoying facts don't agree with you again..

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyearending2017

"Households have more disposable income than at any time previously. However, compared with their pre-downturn levels the incomes of the poorest households have risen nearly two thousand pounds but the incomes of the richest are only now slightly higher. Overall, income inequality has slowly fallen over the last decade."

Lunch times news (BBC) was full of it.

Is this one of those times when you decide the BBC are to be trusted because they support your position...?

Because normally if anyone quotes anything from the BBC you rubbish it because the BBC are biased.

---------- Post added 15-05-2018 at 21:45 ----------

What? All of the low paid?

Anybody on SF had a 12% pay rise?

Please tell us about it.

Yes.

About 2 months back - about 40% increase in fact.