World Cup 2018 thread

In 1996 I noticed that the Czech Republic were 33-1 to win the Euro tournament, which I thought was totally ridiculous. They'd won the thing 20 years before, and they'd been in two World Cup finals in the past. Czech are one of Europe's leading teams really. I put 20 quid on them.

Then they lost their first group match to Germany Their odds went up - to 66-1. I put ANOTHER 20 quid on them.

It turned out that they were probably the best team in the tournament and getting to the final - Germany again - they went a goal up. They ended up losing 2-1 on the golden goal in extra time and needless to say I was strongly annoyed. But it was still the best bets(s) I ever made.

I would imagine Germany were about 4/6 to lift the trophy on the day. If you stuck £1200 on them you'd have cleared about £800 whatever the outcome.

I would imagine Germany were about 4/6 to lift the trophy on the day. If you stuck £1200 on them you'd have cleared about £800 whatever the outcome.

That's what I would have done Jim. its called hedging your bet.

So if England and Belguim draw how do they decide the group 's final positions?They have identical records and a tied game is more than a little bit likely. Mind you, looking at the opposition in group H, it probably won't matter as they should both go through to the last eight anyway. Saying that Iceland is still in my memory bank lol.

So if England and Belguim draw how do they decide the group 's final positions?They have identical records and a tied game is more than a little bit likely. Mind you, looking at the opposition in group H, it probably won't matter as they should both go through to the last eight anyway. Saying that Iceland is still in my memory bank lol.

On fair play! Fewest yellow and red cards. At moment England have two yellows and Belgium have three. If they end up drawing and equal on cards then they draw lots.

I did not see the game,only the highlights but the rugby tackle on Kane tells me the opposition were dreadful / Vauxhall Conference level. Giving away such a blatant penalty is plain stupidity.

Kane hatrick - 2 penalties and a 'own goal' lol.

Potentially increasing the teams by another 16 to 48 is looking laughable by the minute.

Panama v Wales,Cyprus v Albania,Greece v Finland and Uzbekistan v Hong Kong.

Fark - I think I'd rather watch the SPL.

I did not see the game,only the highlights but the rugby tackle on Kane tells me the opposition were dreadful / Vauxhall Conference level. Giving away such a blatant penalty is plain stupidity.

Potentially increasing the teams by another 16 to 48 is looking laughable by the minute.

Agree with you Mac, wait till morning when we read the papers...

England world beaters, Kane unstoppable.

C'mon now Greece have been Euro Champions, something that England can't seem to manage :D, By the way, increasing the teams won't matter to Americans and Canadians anyway only the Mexicans and the TV viewers will shake their heads and raise their eyebrows.LOL

Edited by Ontarian1981