Higher taxes for owners of hybrid cars

Have to agree with above, Hybrids and EV's work really well in city centres (so does the tram tho)

Diesels have always been best on the motorway (or farm), the biggest con was selling them as a 'city car'.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 14:44 ----------

I had a look at a hybrid for my latest comapny car..absolutely rubbish for my job

and yet the government are pushing them as a company car with discounted BIK tax.

Have to agree with above, Hybrids and EV's work really well in city centres (so does the tram tho)

Diesels have always been best on the motorway (or farm), the biggest con was selling them as a 'city car'.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 14:44 ----------

and yet the government are pushing them as a company car with discounted BIK tax.

I can only speak from my own experience on this...the hybrid wasn't suitable for my job..30k ish miles per year ,mostly motorway/A roads. The small petrol engine in it wasn't up to it.The fact that government are pushing it doesn't mean they're suitable..just the gov. has targets to meet in numbers of hybrids on the road I suppose

I can only speak from my own experience on this...the hybrid wasn't suitable for my job..30k ish miles per year ,mostly motorway/A roads. The small petrol engine in it wasn't up to it.The fact that government are pushing it doesn't mean they're suitable..just the gov. has targets to meet in numbers of hybrids on the road I suppose

I believe the ones the Gov are pushing are the "plug in" type with around £3-£5000 off as an incentive,i sold my last diesel when i retired..early...as it was no longer suitable and bought my first hybrid (Honda Civic Saloon)..mainly for local use..as well as longer journey's....was that impressed i bought a Prius and now Lexus..the first thing i noticed was how quiet they were ..a far cry from the noisy diesel..cheap to insure,cheap to run,whisper quiet (don't have to turn volume full up on radio to drown engine noise out :) ,excellent fuel economy,no road fund licence..although it has now changed for the newer ones... but each to their own..my own car is 1.8 litre 134 BHP, the IS300H is 2.5 litre 219 BHP about the same size as a 3 series so there would be plenty of power there for you...I think a lot of die-hard diesel drivers will take a lot of convincing tho'...drive safe :):)

• 4 months later...

Diesels have always been best on the motorway (or farm), the biggest con was selling them as a 'city car', and yet the government are pushing them as a company car with discounted BIK tax.

This is the best selling ultra low emission vehicle, it doesn't look very 'green' to me.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/mitsubishi/outlander/

Over 4,000 were sold last year, they beat BMW 3 series by over 1,000

Looks to me like a 'perk' for the rich.