E-bikes in EU to require insurance, what a dumb proposal

Perhaps blood pressure would drop if people read the whole paragraph referred to.

"The European Commission has today decided that e-bike riders without motor vehicles third-party liability insurance are riding illegally. The decision – yet to be placed into law – would affect those riding pedal-assist e-bikes, often known as pedelecs i.e. the standard e-bike sold in Europe. However, individual EU states can, if they so choose, exempt e-bikes from the decision."

So address this to the UK government if you wish.

Perhaps blood pressure would drop if people read the whole paragraph referred to.

"The European Commission has today decided that e-bike riders without motor vehicles third-party liability insurance are riding illegally. The decision – yet to be placed into law – would affect those riding pedal-assist e-bikes, often known as pedelecs i.e. the standard e-bike sold in Europe. However, individual EU states can, if they so choose, exempt e-bikes from the decision."

So address this to the UK government if you wish.

Exactly, one of several reasons why I think it's a dumb proposal

Exactly, one of several reasons why I think it's a dumb proposal

The idea of having compulsory third party insurance for E-Bike riders makes sense and hardly is dumb. Motability scooter users should also have third party insurance in my opinion.

Why does it make sense?

Same reason third party motor vehicle insurance is compulsory. Don't you think a person riding a E bike could cause serious harm to a pedestrian, if they ran into one? Third party insurance is available for cycle and horse riders for good sensible reasons.