Rotherham's Green bins-will you pay?

Rotherham residents are having their green bins removed. Or, can pay the £40 anual charge to keep them.

Will you be paying? Or, will you just have regular bonfires in your garden?

I think the larger houses with large gardens will need a green bin. Ironically they already pay the most council tax but will be the ones most likely to pay extra for the green bin.

Is Sheffield going the same way, or other parts of the UK?

Some garden waste can be composted, but I think trimmings of conifers for example will be a problem.

More journeys to the dump site, and all the garden fires is surely going to impact air pollution? Has it been thought through?

Rotherham residents are having their green bins removed. Or, can pay the £40 anual charge to keep them.

I think the larger houses with large gardens will need a green bin. Ironically they already pay the most council tax but will be the ones most likely to pay extra for the green bin.

Some garden waste can be composted, but I think trimmings of conifers for example will be a problem.

More journeys to the dump site, and all the garden fires is surely going to impact air pollution? Has it been thought through?

Sheffield has been charging for green bins for over 5 years.

£50+

If only council tax related to the numbers living in a house, it would be much fairer.

Charges for bin and their collection is widespread. If your bin loses a wheel and needs to be replaced, you may have to pay for a replacement bin, depending on the type of bin.

I have just had my PC repaired - not sure why its not underlining incorrect spellings :)

If only council tax related to the numbers living in a house, it would be much fairer.

Charges for bin and their collection is widespread. If your bin loses a wheel and needs to be replaced, you may have to pay for a replacement bin, depending on the type of bin.

I have just had my PC repaired - not sure why its not underlining incorrect spellings :)

yes poll tax riots come to mind :hihi:

yes poll tax riots come to mind :hihi:

The principle was correct, but people dont like to pay more in tax, its not just millionaires that dont like taxes.

How about charging 25% more, per person?

I guess people wont riot about waste removal/recycling :)

Family of 6 are 6 times more likely to make a demand on the emergency services/libraries/create 6 times more waste etc etc than family of 1.

3x more demand than 2 people etc.

I don't think there would ever be a referendum on it, but I would be in favour of poll tax.

Edited by Janus

Family of 6 are 6 times more likely to make a demand on the emergency services/libraries/create 6 times more waste etc etc than family of 1.

3x more demand than 2 people etc.

I don't think there would ever be a referendum on it, but I would be in favour of poll tax.

Agreed .

Leylandii branches and hedge clippings can be composted in the HOTBIN

Most composting advice states that Leylandii and pine needles are hard to compost in a traditional compost bin (around 10°c) taking anything from 2-5 years, however by hot composting in the HOTBIN at around 40-60°c these instead break down in around 90 days.

https://www.hotbincomposting.com/blog/can-i-compost-leylandii.html

Leylandii branches and hedge clippings can be composted in the HOTBIN

Most composting advice states that Leylandii and pine needles are hard to compost in a traditional compost bin (around 10°c) taking anything from 2-5 years, however by hot composting in the HOTBIN at around 40-60°c these instead break down in around 90 days.

https://www.hotbincomposting.com/blog/can-i-compost-leylandii.html

I have a 25 metre long leylandii hedge in my back yard, when I trim it I chuck the cuttings along the base of it and let them naturally compost under the hedge.

I have been doing this for the last 12 years.....

perhaps people who live close to each other who don't generate much green waste could share a bin between them.