Time to completely overhaul out Tax system

Owning a house in a country does not equal residency status in that country.

I've owned a large house in France for decades. Yet I've spent 2 to 3 weeks there a year at the most, and haven't paid a penny of income tax in France for as long.

For most countries and under most double-taxation agreements, it's majority time spent in a country out of a full year. Spend 183 days in country A and 182 in country B out of a year, and your residency and liability for taxation purposes is in country A, not country B.

Facts, Anna, facts. Not emotions.

There is estimated to be over 140,000 people homeless in France, including 30,000 children. 29,000 people are estimated to be homeless in and around Paris alone.

Housing owned by non-UK residents has led to over 200,000 properties being empty for six months or more in the UK and 11,000 UK homes have been empty for more than 10 years. While families are forced to live in hostels and homeless people have froze on the streets, large properties owned by foreign nationals have stood empty.

The international capitalist class has certainly benefited from our EU membership at the expense of the poorest in society. Empty properties are an obscenity that should not be tolerated while people sleep on the streets. They should be seized by the state with no compensation to the greedy capitalist vultures who own them but won't live in them.

I don’t agree with putting tax on basic food, at the moment it’s VAT free and should stay that way. The price of food seems to be increasing each month, putting more tax on everyday basic items is not the answer. It will be the poor who suffer.

If we put tax on everything, won’t this cause inflation to rise?

There is estimated to be over 140,000 people homeless in France, including 30,000 children. 29,000 people are estimated to be homeless in and around Paris alone.

Housing owned by non-UK residents has led to over 200,000 properties being empty for six months or more in the UK and 11,000 UK homes have been empty for more than 10 years. While families are forced to live in hostels and homeless people have froze on the streets, large properties owned by foreign nationals have stood empty.

The international capitalist class has certainly benefited from our EU membership at the expense of the poorest in society. Empty properties are an obscenity that should not be tolerated while people sleep on the streets. They should be seized by the state with no compensation to the greedy capitalist vultures who own them but won't live in them.

Nice rant.

Now, since you quoted me and emboldened the portion of my post that you posted your rant about, tell me where did I mention that my house was unoccupied for 49 weeks?

That’s right, I didn’t, because it is lived in.

Moreover, free of rent, so there is no income to me to raise any tax from.

Do you want a flake in that humble pie?

The 'problems' caused by a flat-rate tax on earned income are:

a. illusory (because anyone earning more will always pay more tax, for lack of the avoidance devices); and

b. overcome by a wealth tax (because anyone more wealthy will, er, pay more).

b) You didn't suggest a wealth tax though, just a flat rate income tax.

a) They're most definitely not illusory, as the brief examination of the numbers from CaptainSwing shows, the amounts of money left after tax at the moment are vastly different, with the lower 5th having barely enough left to cover costs such as housing, eating and utilities bills, whilst the upper 5th have enough to cover those costs, run a few luxury cars, have multiple foreign holidays and save towards a comfortable retirement.

This disparity is a huge source of social tension and unhappiness.