Russia rogue state. UN has passed its sell by date.

Yes. A replacement is needed, as to which:

a. the basis has to be that it does not seek or attempt or pretend to legislate; and

b. the basic entry qualification for countries seeking to join has to be democracy.

(Oh, and that its employees/agents in 'emergency action' areas of the world don't sexually abuse the citizenry.

i wasn't aware that the un did legislate.

and what would you expect this body to do or not do and how would it achieve that?

i wasn't aware that the un did legislate.

But it does purport to dictate law to its members.

and what would you expect this body to do or not do and how would it achieve that?

To do?

Act as a meaningful forum for countries to deliberate and co-operate to the advantage of the world generally.

How?

Up to the new body, I hope.

Generally, the League of Nations was clearly seen to have failed. That's why it was replaced. And now that's clearly true for the UNO too.

But it does purport to dictate law to its members.

when, where, how?

To do?

Act as a meaningful forum for countries to deliberate and co-operate to the advantage of the world generally.

it does that now, if you think there is a better way then you need to tell us

Demand Argentina leave?

Sent a UN peacekeeping force ahead of the UK Task Force?

Sanctioned Argentina?

Suspended Argentinian aid?

Just a few ideas off the top of my head with more than a WI grade condemnation. According to Wikipedia the UN even had the cheek to ask the UK to find a diplomatic solution to the Argentinian invasion. That's quite astounding, and of course was only one of many such calls from the UN before and since to basically throw the Falklands to the wolves.

The more I hear about the UN the more convinced I am that it's past its sell by date. The League of Nations was put to bed, I think it's time the UN was put to sleep too.

the wiki page said they told Argentina to leave, and Argentina was sanctioned, thats 2 of the 3 you said