The biggest killer of men under 45

I think that's a bit of an over simplification.

I said it was when I mentioned it.

---------- Post added 30-05-2018 at 18:51 ----------

No. At least not according to something I came across.

Women "attempt" suicide more often than men, generally by poisoning, ie taking pills.

However, men actually kill themselves when they do it because they use actually deadly means; hanging, falling, shooting, drowning, etc. In other words it's not a "cry for help", it's actual intent to kill.

This too. Men tend to be both more impulsive and aggressive.

This too. Men tend to be both more impulsive and aggressive.

None of the people I knew killed themselves on impulse, and I wouldn't confuse using deadly means with aggression. Each left ample evidence that it was well planned and executed (forgive the phraseology). Dispair and intent are better words.

Another worrying thing is the rise in children committing suicide, as a parent of an child with Aspergers it is cause for concern but children right across the spectrum are increasingly taking their own life.

There is a BBC 3 program on iPlayer, young lad and parking fines. So tragic.

Suicide.

Shocking isn't it? Not fast cars, not drugs, not dangerous sports, not cancer, not war.

Suicide. Hanged, suffocated, strangulated, poisoned, fell, drowned, shot, stabbed. The biggest killer of young men and something that's studiously ignored by almost all of us until it gets one of us that we know.

My male suicide count is 3, female 1, what's yours? What's to be done to help young men stay alive and thrive in society?

Appreciate you opening this thread very much. I work in a role where I support people going through all sorts of situations and unfortunately (male) suicide occurs so much more than people think. It certainly has been an eye-opener for me as I haven't had to deal with it in my direct environment.

This calendar year alone I have encountered three situations where people have lost a loved one due to suicide and it is devastating to those involved.

I think one of the keys to beginning to prevent suicide is by providing workplaces and places of education where people feel and know they can turn to someone in case darkness sets in. Unfortunately, in my experience, the biggest problem for those with mental health issues is a reluctance to 'admit' a problem and then a reluctance to reach out for help.

Even if the NHS is weak in mental health, Universities and large employers have services available. Please don't be afraid to seek out help if you need it.

I suppose it's a testament to improved public health and public safety, but it is an area that most people aren't particularly aware of (although I've seen it going around on facebook for a few years now, so awareness must be increasing).

I don't know what if any root cause analysis has been done, for example does it disproportionately affect one area of society, does being poor increase the risk, or rich? Does education level affect the risk, or perhaps ethnicity, or even location (rural/urban, north/south, etc)...

That's an interesting question. For a lot of years, apparently suicide rates were highest in farmers and vets, both of which can be solitary occupations and both with easy access to lethal means.

My two most recent links with suicides have both been women in their 40s. One case was related to post natal depression. The other? Well, you'd have thought she had absolutely everything to live for. It just goes to show you can never tell.

That's an interesting question. For a lot of years, apparently suicide rates were highest in farmers and vets, both of which can be solitary occupations and both with easy access to lethal means.

My two most recent links with suicides have both been women in their 40s. One case was related to post natal depression. The other? Well, you'd have thought she had absolutely everything to live for. It just goes to show you can never tell.

Vets were the profession with highest rate of suicide for a while. I think solitude had a lot to do with it, but it must be tough for an animal lover to keep putting, sometimes healthy, animals down.

I had a good friend commit suicide but I think it was down to deeper psychological issues.

Vets were the profession with highest rate of suicide for a while. I think solitude had a lot to do with it, but it must be tough for an animal lover to keep putting, sometimes healthy, animals down.

Easy access to the meds store is probably a significant factor.