The biggest killer of men under 45

Perhaps you should look it up instead of using your imagination and guessing...

"... steady rise in the prevalence of youthful drug taking in Britain from the 1960s was followed by a sharper rise from 1990 to an all‐time peak in the middle of that decade. Rates have not quite returned to this peak since, and from 2000 onwards have declined steadily, though from a historically high level."

https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/09654280810867079

Edited by cgksheff

"... steady rise in the prevalence of youthful drug taking in Britain from the 1960s was followed by a sharper rise from 1990 to an all‐time peak in the middle of that decade. Rates have not quite returned to this peak since, and from 2000 onwards have declined steadily, though from a historically high level."

https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/09654280810867079

Yeah, I think there's this perception that the "Swinging 60s" swung for everyone, when really it was quite a small, well-documented section of society. My parents wouldn't recognise weed if it grew in a pot in their greenhouse!

Folk can kill themselves in very different ways, I’ve known several alcoholics, all well educated guys, great company if you caught them at the correct time, and all aware that their addiction was unlikely to see them receive a queen’s telegram, they are all now deceased. :sad:

I think the cannabis thing is a bit of a Red herring.

I've talked to police about this, and they say alcohol (the misuse of) is a far bigger problem than cannabis, and if it was a new thing would probably be regarded as an 'A' class, mind altering drug. A greater proportion of casual drinkers become alcoholics, than casual cannabis users become paranoid.

The problem with Cannabis is that because it's bought and sold illegally, by some very dodgy people, it can bring users into contact with far worse drugs that do the real damage.

I think in relation to suicide, the more relevant question is, why do people feel the need to self medicate with cannabis or alcohol?

Prior to The Suicide Act 1961 suicide was a criminal offence, what action they could take against a successful suicide god only knows, however failed suicides could be prosecuted and imprisoned.

Since decriminalisation it is illegal to assist a potential suicide, this even includes helping someone to travel to Dignitas, so speaking for myself, I wouldn’t wish to assist in criminalising a loved one. I fully understand that without this law unscrupulous relatives of the terminally ill, could have them terminated when they might not wish to die in this manner, religion is a very common factor.

It’s a tricky thing this killing yourself malarky, hopefully none of us will experience it, but I wager that the statistics will challenge my optimism.

Edited by Calahonda

Prior to The Suicide Act 1961 suicide was a criminal offence, what action they could take against a successful suicide god only knows, however failed suicides could be prosecuted and imprisoned.

Since decriminalisation it is illegal to assist a potential suicide, this even includes helping someone to travel to Dignitas, so speaking for myself, I wouldn’t wish to assist in criminalising a loved one. I fully understand that without this law unscrupulous relatives of the terminally ill, could have them terminated when they might not wish to die in this manner, religion is a very common factor.

It’s a tricky thing this killing yourself malarky, hopefully none of us will experience it, but I wager that the statistics will challenge my optimism.

Thing is, with Dignitas there's usually a very clear reason why someone would want to commit suicide; ill health, continuous pain, etc. and I personally think it should be a possible option but only in these serious circumstances. I agree with you about the need for safeguards and unscrupulous relatives.

But I think this thread is more about younger, 'healthy' people (particularly young men) committing suicide, when you'd think they had everything to live for. What drives them to do it?

I think in relation to suicide, the more relevant question is, why do people feel the need to self medicate with cannabis or alcohol?

It's a mistake to think that everyone who suffers addiction is trying to self-medicate a problem. Addiction sneaks up on you and can just as easily happen to a happy person as an unhappy one. Drinking and drugging is hugely enjoyable. Until a few years down the line when (if you're unlucky) it isn't.

It's a mistake to think that everyone who suffers addiction is trying to self-medicate a problem. Addiction sneaks up on you and can just as easily happen to a happy person as an unhappy one. Drinking and drugging is hugely enjoyable. Until a few years down the line when (if you're unlucky) it isn't.

I agree in that addiction sneaks up on people, and ultimately can cause great distress, but drug/alcohol use does not necessarily lead to addiction. I think there are many more reasons for suicide than addiction, or even drug use.

A lot of young people seem to have lost all hope for the future and sink into depression, these are the ones who may then self medicate with alcohol and drugs. It's a chicken or egg situation.

But the real concern for me is why young people are losing hope to the point where they want to commit suicide.

Asking for help when depressed is hard enough - accepting that you need help is the first problem. But then trying to get an appointment with a GP these days is almost impossible. I have tried this morning to make an appointment online. Apparently there are not GP ring back appointments available for the whole of next week :o. This is before I can get to see anyone face to face.

I am recently bereaved and have tried to access the bereavement counseling service - there is a 4 month waiting list.

Fortunately I'm not suicidal but if I were I probably wouldn't be posting on here now.

The whole system is a disgrace.

Edited by Daven