What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Guest makapaka
Upon recent visits to Nottingham I think the City Centre is far superior to Sheffield. The City was buzzing with people out and about in the sunshine. They have a square in the centre of Nottingham that is frequently used for various events which are very popular. The powers that be in Sheffield should visit Leeds and Nottingham and take note on what these Cities are doing right.

You could say exactly the same thing about our city when the food festival was on in the peace gardens - don’t confuse different with better.

In the 60s it was reported that girls outnumbered men by 3-1in Nottingham, so we often went to the Palais there on a Saturday night.:thumbsup:

That might have been the case in the 1950s and 1960s. By the 1980s that certainly wasn't the case.

---------- Post added 12-06-2018 at 19:01 ----------

Upon recent visits to Nottingham I think the City Centre is far superior to Sheffield. The City was buzzing with people out and about in the sunshine. They have a square in the centre of Nottingham that is frequently used for various events which are very popular. The powers that be in Sheffield should visit Leeds and Nottingham and take note on what these Cities are doing right.

In Leeds they've got Millennium Square, which has a big screen which will be screening live World Cup matches and other sporting occasions, and is also used for various events. This is surrounded by bars. Also I was in Leeds last Saturday and the bars on Greek Street were rammed and all the outside seating was filled last Saturday afternoon. Same in City Square, outside Banyan and Restaurant Bar and Grill.

Guest makapaka
That might have been the case in the 1950s and 1960s. By the 1980s that certainly wasn't the case.

---------- Post added 12-06-2018 at 19:01 ----------

In Leeds they've got Millennium Square, which has a big screen which will be screening live World Cup matches and other sporting occasions, and is also used for various events. This is surrounded by bars. Also I was in Leeds last Saturday and the bars on Greek Street were rammed and all the outside seating was filled last Saturday afternoon. Same in City Square, outside Banyan and Restaurant Bar and Grill.

Great - only problem is you’re in Leeds.

Great - only problem is you’re in Leeds.

Yes, a city which completely blinds Sheffield.

---------- Post added 12-06-2018 at 20:56 ----------

Well if someone wants to put up a big screen then you can do that in the Peace Gardens, Tudor Square, Devonshire Green...

That big screen is permanently in Millennium Square.

Guest makapaka
Yes but is there anywhere like that in Sheffield ?

What busy pubs and a public square - yes.

Is it as good as Leeds? Maybe not - who cares? we don’t need to be Leeds - we have our own identity and I’m glad for it.

Whoop-de-do.

That makes it a guarantor of watching World Cup matches there. In a nutshell Leeds - better shopping, day- and nightlife, better attractions, more and better bars, richer, better opportunities, more vibrant and 20 years ahead of Sheffield.

Guest makapaka
That makes it a guarantor of watching World Cup matches there. In a nutshell Leeds - better shopping, day- and nightlife, better attractions, more and better bars, richer, better opportunities, more vibrant and 20 years ahead of Sheffield.

So what? Why are you comparing Leeds and Sheffield?

I could say sheffield is 20 years ahead of Wakefield? What’s your point?