What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Maybe the city centre will improve when the work around the moor and castle gate is finished? I wouldn't go as far as to say it's intimidating in town but it definitely isn't nice. I think if low level anti social behaviour is ignored/tolerated it just festers and gets worse and worse.

Guest makapaka
Clutching at straws again

No it’s not.

People always compare sheffield with Leeds do they not?

Why?

So what? Why are you comparing Leeds and Sheffield?

I could say sheffield is 20 years ahead of Wakefield? What’s your point?

Comparing Sheffield with Wakefield is setting the bar fairly low. What next? Comparing it with Thurnscoe?

Guest makapaka
Comparing Sheffield with Wakefield is setting the bar fairly low. What next? Comparing it with Thurnscoe?

So you would prefer to compare us with a city with almost 50% greater population and a completely different economy.

I could equally say you might as well compare us with Rome if you want to be daft.

Why are you comparing sheffield with Leeds and why is sheffield not matching Leeds af failure?

No it’s not.

People always compare sheffield with Leeds do they not?

Why?

Because its our biggest neighbour

---------- Post added 12-06-2018 at 22:09 ----------

So you would prefer to compare us with a city with almost 50% greater population and a completely different economy.

I could equally say you might as well compare us with Rome if you want to be daft.

Why are you comparing sheffield with Leeds and why is sheffield not matching Leeds af failure?

OK you are right , Sheffield is booming at the moment :roll:

You can't compare cities with cities, every single one of them has their own identity and everyone of them has areas and places unique to that city.

I visited Sheffield city centre on Saturday afternoon and to be honest it was very lively. I got off the bus outside All Bar One at 4.30 and it was packed. Walked past Leopold Square and the same there. I carried on past the water fountains in the Peace Gardens and surprisingly it was busy there too.

Nobody seemed to be bothered by beggars and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I carried on down to Browns for a drink but had to have it inside because all the tables were busy outside.

This doesn't seem like a city that is lacking any kind of nightlife or public squares that require big TV screens and as I said each city is unique

I went to Manchester last weekend on the train and we only walked 10 minutes to our hotel in Piccadilly Gardens. I saw more beggars in that 10 minutes than I did all night in Sheffield. I'm not saying Sheffield hasn't got a problem with beggars, but we aren't any better or worse than anywhere else.

I still enjoyed my weekend in Manchester but no better than my night out in Sheffield.

For what it's worth, I think Sheffield isn't quite as bad as some people seem to suggest it is. It's not perfect, but nowhere is.

Guest makapaka
Because its our biggest neighbour

---------- Post added 12-06-2018 at 22:09 ----------

OK you are right , Sheffield is booming at the moment :roll:

You’re not answering the question.

You’re also reinforcing the point.

It’s our biggest neighbour - so you can aspire towards it - you can’t say sheffield is bad because it’s not as good?

Don’t you think?

---------- Post added 12-06-2018 at 23:05 ----------

You can't compare cities with cities, every single one of them has their own identity and everyone of them has areas and places unique to that city.

I visited Sheffield city centre on Saturday afternoon and to be honest it was very lively. I got off the bus outside All Bar One at 4.30 and it was packed. Walked past Leopold Square and the same there. I carried on past the water fountains in the Peace Gardens and surprisingly it was busy there too.

Nobody seemed to be bothered by beggars and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I carried on down to Browns for a drink but had to have it inside because all the tables were busy outside.

This doesn't seem like a city that is lacking any kind of nightlife or public squares that require big TV screens and as I said each city is unique

I went to Manchester last weekend on the train and we only walked 10 minutes to our hotel in Piccadilly Gardens. I saw more beggars in that 10 minutes than I did all night in Sheffield. I'm not saying Sheffield hasn't got a problem with beggars, but we aren't any better or worse than anywhere else.

I still enjoyed my weekend in Manchester but no better than my night out in Sheffield.

For what it's worth, I think Sheffield isn't quite as bad as some people seem to suggest it is. It's not perfect, but nowhere is.

Thank you sammo - a voice of reason!