What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

I’ve not read all the threads but I think the OP is seeking a reaction and he/she/it got one.

What’s good is some of the new stuff. But it’s poor for a city of its size. Way, way behind. It won’t catch up because locals see nothing wrong with it. That’s why it’s like it is. This thread is evidence of that.

Guest makapaka
I’ve not read all the threads but I think the OP is seeking a reaction and he/she/it got one.

What’s good is some of the new stuff. But it’s poor for a city of its size. Way, way behind. It won’t catch up because locals see nothing wrong with it. That’s why it’s like it is. This thread is evidence of that.

Catch up with what?

I was the second poster to reply to the OP and told him/her that he/she was either a wind-up merchant or a sarcastic so and so.

Catch up with what?

Catch up with second from bottom of the eight core cities.

---------- Post added 14-06-2018 at 07:55 ----------

Thats it. The Leeds GVA figure per head of population is more than £8,000 ahead of Sheffield's, Bristol's £11,000 ahead, and Manchester's a whopping £14,000 ahead.

Edited by pss60

I'm not sure why the economic output is what is being considered though. GVA doesn't determine how many museums your city centre has, or whether there are shops open on a weekday evening and people using the city centre.

I'm not sure why the economic output is what is being considered though. GVA doesn't determine how many museums your city centre has, or whether there are shops open on a weekday evening and people using the city centre.

It determines how many shops, bars, restaurants etc and the variety and price range. A city with a higher GVA per head of population will be more vibrant, be able to sustain shops like Harvey Nichols, restaurants like Gaucho https://www.gauchorestaurants.com/, Tattu http://tattu.co.uk/ etc, which certainly aren't cheap, bars like Neighbourhood https://www.neighbourhoodrestaurant.co.uk/. It is also a measure of economic activity and how many career opportunities there are and the type, and a city with a high GVA will raise the GVA of the surrounding area. It is an important measure. Whether these would open in Sheffield or not remains to be seen.

Edited by pss60

Is the relationship that simple? I'm sure there is a link, but GVA is not the same as disposable income or relative wealth (as the quote I made earlier points out).

---------- Post added 14-06-2018 at 12:07 ----------

GDHI for Sheffield City Region £15,340

That's actually very comparable with the majority of the country outside the affluent South East+London.

---------- Post added 14-06-2018 at 12:14 ----------

Interestingly, Manchester, which had one of the highest GVA values has one of the lowest GDHI values at £13,184.

Leeds for 2016 £16814, Sheffield £15057. A measurable difference, but not as large as the GVA might have implied.

For reference, Nottingham £12323, Liverpool £14538, York £18070...

So individuals wealth (as measured by disposable income) varies quite differently to the economic production of an area.

Interestingly, Manchester, which had one of the highest GVA values has one of the lowest GDHI values at £13,184.

Leeds for 2016 £16814, Sheffield £15057. A measurable difference, but not as large as the GVA might have implied.

For reference, Nottingham £12323, Liverpool £14538, York £18070...

So individuals wealth (as measured by disposable income) varies quite differently to the economic production of an area.

That's only the figure for the City of Manchester though - all the other boroughs in Greater Manchester with the exception of Oldham are a good £2k pa higher - with Trafford nearer £6k higher and East Cheshire on the doorstep coming in at £22k pa.

Similarly the Nottingham figure excludes wealthier suburbs which come under Rushcliffe, Broxtowe and Gedling.