What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Lived here all my life, think its a dump, always have and will be out at the first opportunity.

You’ll be in for a shock then

---------- Post added 14-06-2018 at 20:38 ----------

I’ve not read all the threads but I think the OP is seeking a reaction and he/she/it got one.

What’s good is some of the new stuff. But it’s poor for a city of its size. Way, way behind. It won’t catch up because locals see nothing wrong with it. That’s why it’s like it is. This thread is evidence of that.

Yes, catch up with what ?

That's only the figure for the City of Manchester though - all the other boroughs in Greater Manchester with the exception of Oldham are a good £2k pa higher - with Trafford nearer £6k higher and East Cheshire on the doorstep coming in at £22k pa.

Similarly the Nottingham figure excludes wealthier suburbs which come under Rushcliffe, Broxtowe and Gedling.

Well, yes, we were comparing the cities specifically. That's why I included only the figures for the cities.

You’ll be in for a shock then

---------- Post added 14-06-2018 at 20:38 ----------

Yes, catch up with what ?

Catch up with second bottom of the core cities.

---------- Post added 17-06-2018 at 11:21 ----------

That's only the figure for the City of Manchester though - all the other boroughs in Greater Manchester with the exception of Oldham are a good £2k pa higher - with Trafford nearer £6k higher and East Cheshire on the doorstep coming in at £22k pa.

Similarly the Nottingham figure excludes wealthier suburbs which come under Rushcliffe, Broxtowe and Gedling.

Besides, a fair number of people who work in Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester do live well outside those cities. There will be plenty who live in Harrogate and York who work in Leeds, and many of those who live in the Cheshire stockbroker belt work in Manchester, earning more that what they could if they worked where they live.

Edited by pss60

Catch up with second bottom of the core cities.

---------- Post added 17-06-2018 at 11:21 ----------

Besides, a fair number of people who work in Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester do live well outside those cities. There will be plenty who live in Harrogate and York who work in Leeds, and many of those who live in the Cheshire stockbroker belt work in Manchester, earning more that what they could if they worked where they live.

There’s a lot of money in the Peak District National Park, and the law of averages dictate that many of them must work in Sheffield. I’m driving out there every morning, as many quality cars are travelling in the direction of Sheffield. I’m thinking hospitals and universities, well if I worked at the Sheffield University or the Hallamshire, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to spend my leisure time in SCC.

There’s a lot of money in the Peak District National Park, and the law of averages dictate that many of them must work in Sheffield. I’m driving out there every morning, as many quality cars are travelling in the direction of Sheffield. I’m thinking hospitals and universities, well if I worked at the Sheffield University or the Hallamshire, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to spend my leisure time in SCC.

The hospitals and universities are more like it, and aside from that, Manchester.

HSBC is a large employer of course in Sheffield, there's the AMR and McClaren just out of town. Capita have a large office and several subsidiary offices, and there are of course numerous smaller companies all over the city. Plusnet, Insight, UFI (Learn Direct), SkyBet, all national or international companies with large offices in Sheffield.

As a self employed IT Contractor I move around a lot and I sometimes have to work in Leeds as well, I've managed to stay in Sheffield though for about 5 years, the market has been steadily improving.

HSBC is a large employer of course in Sheffield, there's the AMR and McClaren just out of town. Capita have a large office and several subsidiary offices, and there are of course numerous smaller companies all over the city. Plusnet, Insight, UFI (Learn Direct), SkyBet, all national or international companies with large offices in Sheffield.

As a self employed IT Contractor I move around a lot and I sometimes have to work in Leeds as well, I've managed to stay in Sheffield though for about 5 years, the market has been steadily improving.

Despite all that, there's still a long way to go to get anywhere near Leeds or Bristol, indeed there's some catching up to get to Liverpool or Newcastle.