What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

I wonder how many people who slate the city centre actually spend much time there aside from passing through.

I started taking my kids to Sheffield Centre on the bus on a Saturday and they absolutely love it and always ask when can we go again. There’s always something going on on a Saturday to entertain them.

Recently had a night in Manchester for the Foo Fighters concert and although it was midweek I couldn’t believe that after 11.30pm we couldn’t find a single pub or eatery open in the Northern Quarter (the supposed place to be). If that was Sheffield and there was a high occupancy concert happening most of the pubs and eateries would take advantage and have a late licence in place. Manchester just didn’t seem interested.

And as for rough sleepers, never seen so many in my life, one in almost every doorway. Sheffield has no where near the amount that I saw in Manchester.

Edited by steroc

I wonder how many people who slate the city centre actually spend much time there aside from passing through.

I started taking my kids to Sheffield Centre on the bus on a Saturday and they absolutely love it and always ask when can we go again. There’s always something going on on a Saturday to entertain them.

Recently had a night in Manchester for the Foo Fighters concert and although it was midweek I couldn’t believe that after 11.30pm we couldn’t find a single pub or eatery open in the Northern Quarter (the supposed place to be). If that was Sheffield and there was a high occupancy concert happening most of the pubs and eateries would take advantage and have a late licence in place. Manchester just didn’t seem interested.

And as for rough sleepers, never seen so many in my life, one in almost every doorway. Sheffield has no where near the amount that I saw in Manchester.

I was out in Manchester in the northern quarter a few weeks ago....scruffy, the part I was in at any rate.

Sheffield city centre is a heck of a mess

The amount of begging really is a stress.

The council don't seem to care

As voters never give 'em much of a scare.

Shops are closing down very very fast

And most people hanging around have trousers at half mast.

Drug dealing and spice using are rife

Go to Leeds shopping, if you've got a life.

Sheffield city centre is a heck of a mess

The amount of begging really is a stress.

The council don't seem to care

As voters never give 'em much of a scare.

Shops are closing down very very fast

And most people hanging around have trousers at half mast.

Drug dealing and spice using are rife

Go to Leeds shopping, if you've got a life.

I choose life, and it will never involve a shopping trip to Leeds.

Sheffield City Centre? My favourite time to be there is early morning, before everyone else gets there. Before the shops open. It is tranquil and the architecture is stunning in places.

Today for instance. (0850am)

I usually walk into town from Longley every weekend to renew my bus smartcard at Arundel Gate interchange. This saves me holding everyone up on a monday morning by buying it on the bus when they are trying to get to work.

Anyhow, my stroll took me down Pitsmoor Road to Mowbray Street and the views over the city centre were stunning.

I walked along Nursery Street and crossed the Don into the Irwin Mitchell complex. The Don was alive with wildlife.

Emerging from the other side of the complex I was rewarded with the oasis that is Love Square. Anyone who has not seen this spectacle really ought to give it a minute or three at this time of year.

Then up a litter free Snig Hill and Angel Street and an empty Fargate. Plenty of looking up as there were no zombies on mobiles to bump into. What a feast for the eyes that was.

Luckily enough the smartcard top up machine on Arundel Gate was unusable due to sunlight on the touch screens so I had to divert to Pond Street.

This made me walk along Arundel Gate and down Howard Street for the first time in ages. What a beautiful stroll that was. Wonderful views towards the flats and Midland Station.

Sheffield can be visually interesting when you've got it to yourself, which is how I like it. As far as 'city centre' shops, clubs, pubs and venues are concerned … I don't need them to be any better than they are now.

I love Sheffield as it is, warts and all.:cool:

The city centre has huge potential but its hampered by some of the problems.

1) The problem with drug abuse and spice addition that I mentioned on another thread. You cant go five minutes without someone coming up to you asking for money. I often see people in a catatonic state. The police know its a problem and have had a crackdown but it needs to be done regularly,.

2) (And this is one we can solve) End the charity mugging in the city centre. I do not see any charities benefiting from it and they are very pushy sales people. There just needs to be a blanket ban. I dont mind the dogs trust etc where they collect with tins but actually getting sales people to harrass you for direct debit details.

3) This is partially related to number one. There are a number of areas where there are street drinkers harrasing people. You see that outside B&M and I dont know if its still a problem but outside Tesco and Devonshire Green.