What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Guest makapaka
....the opinion of the Home Office would differ. I'd suggest they probably know more about their own recruitment process than you or I, and that when they claim they can't get people to move to Sheffield or jobs, they aren't lying.

No - the home office aren’t saying people don’t want to move to sheffield- they are saying they can’t get people to move to do that particular job.

The home office aren’t doing a survey on whether people want to move to sheffield or not.

Keep trying to dig up stuff that runs the city down you’re doing a grand job of promoting the city.

No - the home office aren’t saying people don’t want to move to sheffield- they are saying they can’t get people to move to do that particular job.

The home office aren’t doing a survey on whether people want to move to sheffield or not.

Keep trying to dig up stuff that runs the city down you’re doing a grand job of promoting the city.

No - they say they are having "difficulties enticing people to move to Sheffield."

So it's absolutely fair to say that the Home Office are finding people don't want to move to Sheffield.

Why is it my job to promote the city?! I haven't made up this news report.....

This is a discussion about the city centre, and many people are reporting their concerns/problems. It's not a meeting of the Sheffield Tourist Board! We live here, and are entitled to our views. Why get so aggressive and angry if people don't think it's quite as great as you do?!

I'm not too sure why you feel it is your job to pedantically defend the city against any and every criticism anyone makes of it, on any thread. It's pretty bonkers - any discussion in which people are talking about problems in Sheffield, you pop up to tell people there are no problems at all. Very weird.

Edited by paula4sheff

Guest makapaka
No - they say they are having "difficulties enticing people to move to Sheffield."

So it's absolutely fair to say that the Home Office are finding people don't want to move to Sheffield.

Why is it my job to promote the city?! I haven't made up this news report.....

This is a discussion about the city centre, and many people are reporting their concerns/problems. It's not a meeting of the Sheffield Tourist Board! We live here, and are entitled to our views. Why get so aggressive and angry if people don't think it's quite as great as you do?!

I'm not too sure why you feel it is your job to pedantically defend the city against any and every criticism anyone makes of it, on any thread. It's pretty bonkers - any discussion in which people are talking about problems in Sheffield, you pop up to tell people there are no problems at all. Very weird.

It is fair to say that the home office are finding it hard. You didn’t say that though you said people don’t want to move to sheffield.

It’s not your job to promote the city - is it to run it down?

I could equally say you do the opposite - and use every opportunity to criticise Sheffield - I know which I’d prefer.

It is fair to say that the home office are finding it hard. You didn’t say that though you said people don’t want to move to sheffield.

It’s not your job to promote the city - is it to run it down?

I could equally say you do the opposite - and use every opportunity to criticise Sheffield - I know which I’d prefer.

Why is saying things need to improve 'running somewhere down'?

If an area had a lot of crime, people would say it needs to stop - they would't be accused of 'running the area down' would they?!

Look back - I said the Home Office say that people don't want to move to Sheffield. Which is correct.

I think you might be best not coming on a forum which discusses Sheffield to be honest. The nature of discussion/news is that a lot of it isn't going to be relentlessly positive I'm afraid. An impassive list of positive events really isn't newsworthy- hence it never getting featured.

Perhaps start some threads exclusively dedicated to positive things in Sheffield, and post there, if you're not too interested in people 'running the city down' or discussing how the city needs to change and improve?

Guest makapaka
Why is saying things need to improve 'running somewhere down'?

If an area had a lot of crime, people would say it needs to stop - they would't be accused of 'running the area down' would they?!

Look back - I said the Home Office say that people don't want to move to Sheffield. Which is correct.

I think you might be best not coming on a forum which discusses Sheffield to be honest. The nature of discussion/news is that a lot of it isn't going to be relentlessly positive I'm afraid. An impassive list of positive events really isn't newsworthy- hence it never getting featured.

Perhaps start some threads exclusively dedicated to positive things in Sheffield, and post there, if you're not too interested in people 'running the city down' or discussing how the city needs to change and improve?

You took the home office thing out of context to suggest people generally didn’t want to move to sheffield.

You know you did so stop pretending otherwise.

“An impassive list of positive events isn’t newsworthy” eh! I’d love to hear some please.

You took the home office thing out of context to suggest people generally didn’t want to move to sheffield.

You know you did so stop pretending otherwise.

“An impassive list of positive events isn’t newsworthy” eh! I’d love to hear some please.

Oh, I'm quite sure you can make your own list of the day to day positive events that occur in Sheffield.

Better have a word with the Home Office - they've been 'running down' Sheffield.

Oh, The Centre For Cities thinktank as well as the Guardian and all the other news sources that report their findings too - they've been 'running down' Sheffield as well.

How dare their statistics and facts state that Sheffield has the fourth largest amount of derelict shops in any town/city in England! Lies! All lies! They should be doing a 'grand job of promoting the city' - not busying themselves with actually looking at the facts and figures of the matter!

What do you take

"migration lawyers said UK visas and immigration officials had told a recent business immigration conference that they faced a particular problem in “enticing staff to move to Sheffield, the city having been designated as the global processing centre"

to mean then? That they're NOT having difficulty getting people to move to Sheffield?

Some more info (from a less salubrious source!)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4955330/whats-wrong-with-sheffield-home-office-struggles-to-recruit-staff-to-cope-with-brexit-because-workers-dont-want-to-move-to-northern-city/

Ever considered that people don't want jobs "processing" immigration given the current shambles HMG are in over Brexit?

Nope - but it still works in the Yorkshire accent. Looks better as well, for rhyming purposes....

No it doesn’t, stop being silly.

The only person who says “laff” these days is Danny Dyer on Eastenders:

“Yer ‘avin a larff aincher ?”

Are you sure you’re not a bloody cockney from Dahn Saaf?

An inability to resource a particular position is not an example of people not wanting to move to sheffield.

I just went back to find the source of this particular strand of the discussion, but anyway.

I expect that if the home office were going the other way, Sheffield to London, it would have exactly the same problem in enticing existing staff to move.

Of course people are resistant. They have lives, jobs, homes, friends and possibly family where they are right now. Then the HA says, we'd like you to relocate 200 miles away because we want to move the office.

No matter where it was from and to, they would always run into stiff resistance from the staff.

Sorry - you must be right. We'll ignore the empty shops that no one wants to rent, the traders and shop owners who are regularly complaining, the fact most of the stall holders of the Christmas markets have stated they will be going elsewhere next year etc. Not to mention the fact I'm sure we all know people who don't bother with the centre at all anymore and just go to Meadowhall....

You do know last week's report stated that Sheffield has the one of the highest amounts of empty shops in England? We're only behind Blackpool, Bradford and Wigan.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/26/cities-replace-shops-offices-housing-report

It was busy on a hot Sunday afternoon so it must be doing fantastically.....right.

It's in fact ''rubbish' (to use your term) to claim the city centre isn't struggling. All the facts and evidence suggest otherwise. Seeing it busy on a hot weekend afternoon really don't alter them.

It has it's positives - but at present they're not shining through, and people aren't going to the centre, as they're sadly obscured by far too many negatives. Sorting them out simply HAS to become a priority if the centre is to thrive and attract people. Pretending all is fine and dandy doesn't help ith that one bit.

On another note, according to the Home Office no one wants to move to Sheffield, which is pretty sad!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/19/home-office-admits-its-struggling-to-recruit-staff-to-register-eu-nationals

Go on Paula, tell us some of the positives of Sheffield City Centre