What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Guest makapaka
That would make Sheffield considerably larger than Birmingham, the UKs 2nd largest city...

They're referring to the region and it's a valid point.

Expecting Sheffield to be on a par with Leeds and Manchester and running the place down because it's not is plain daft.

They're referring to the region and it's a valid point.

Expecting Sheffield to be on a par with Leeds and Manchester and running the place down because it's not is plain daft.

Go on, persuade me ...say I live halfway between..why should I go to Sheffield rather than Leeds?

Guest makapaka
Go on, persuade me ...say I live halfway between..why should I go to Sheffield rather than Leeds?

Go where you want - why are you asking me?

Guest makapaka
I thought you were accusing someone of underselling Sheffield...just giving you an opportunity to put forward it's good points...

There are many, and there will no doubt be many from Leeds aswell.

Go to meadowhall if you need to do shopping after 1700 would be more accurate wouldn't it.

And yes, there are bars open, and restaurants (not so much cafes), but the centre is dead after 1700, and that's largely down to the inability to do any shopping in combination with getting a bite to eat.

(I've actually tried to get a sandwich or quick snack at 1800, if you don't want a full meal it's actually pretty difficult, most of the cafes are actually closed).

Walk around Leeds or Manchester at 6pm, and the bars are packed with people from the offices having a few beers. You never see that in Sheffield, largely because the city centre pubs are so grotty and partly because there is nothing to stay in the city for after your beer.

Surely most people simply go to the city centre to which they are most proximate.

I've gone out a few times in Leeds, but only because I have friends who live there, I wouldn't bother otherwise, the trains back late in the evening are abysmal and I'm sure the same applies the other way.

I don't know if it is still the case but about 10 years ago I had to travel to Leeds a few times and found that Leeds was well signposted all the way. On the return journey though I found that Sheffield was not well signposted at all. Sheffield clearly not a desirable destination it seems.