What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

According to today's Star, 'The number of planning applications for new shops has fallen faster in Sheffield than anywhere else in the UK, new figures suggest.'

The council however says it's 'because Sheffield is ahead of the curve in adapting to the high streets changing role...'

Sheffield Council have never been ahead in anything. This is the same council who took years to re establish a market, (in the wrong place,) by which time everyone had switched to shopping in supermarkets; and took 12 years to get the new shopping centre behind Cole Brothers out of the ground, which, by the time it's finished will have missed the boat again.

We're gonna need a better Council.

While I agree with Anna B about the council, why is this thread only about shopping? Sheffield City Centre has two beautiful Cathedrals, great Crucible and Lyceum theatres and concert venue in the City Hall, a good selection of cinema including the lovely Showroom and Curzon, the Millennium and Graves Galleries and glorious Winter Garden (my personal favourite place). These are what's good about Sheffield City Centre ... you can do your shopping online.

Guest makapaka
While I agree with Anna B about the council, why is this thread only about shopping? Sheffield City Centre has two beautiful Cathedrals, great Crucible and Lyceum theatres and concert venue in the City Hall, a good selection of cinema including the lovely Showroom and Curzon, the Millennium and Graves Galleries and glorious Winter Garden (my personal favourite place). These are what's good about Sheffield City Centre ... you can do your shopping online.

Absolutely kaytie. There’s loads of good stuff in town. It’s certainly not the desolate wasteland people are pretending on here.

I agree.

What other things would people like to see to attract people into the town centre, apart from shops?