What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Guest makapaka
I'll be honest, I know the loop gets a bit of stick but as a very occasional visitor I found it quite helpful, certainly pre sat-nav.

Maybe I’m messing a bit but it’s the constant comparison with Leeds and Manchester that drives me mad.

It’s like saying Wednesday and united are useless football teams cos they’re not as good as Man City and man united.

While I agree with Anna B about the council, why is this thread only about shopping? Sheffield City Centre has two beautiful Cathedrals, great Crucible and Lyceum theatres and concert venue in the City Hall, a good selection of cinema including the lovely Showroom and Curzon, the Millennium and Graves Galleries and glorious Winter Garden (my personal favourite place). These are what's good about Sheffield City Centre ... you can do your shopping online.

I agree with you about the Winter Gardens, I love to sit there with a coffee and watch the world go by. All the above places you have mention are lovely. Also The Peace Gardens.

Seriously? Why?

And the winter gardens, sure it's nice, but it takes about 5 minutes to look around and then apart from passing through why would you deliberately come back until a year later?

Also he might be a proper Christian church goer to the cathedral and might go every sunday (I was trying to be a bit respectful with my original non-answer:))

I love the atmosphere of the winter gardens, I don’t wonder round and look at the plants every time I go in. it’s some where to go and rest your feet with a takeaway coffee, especially if it’s a bit chilly or raining outside. It’s clean and there’s plenty of seats. I like the structure of the building and how the galleries are connected to it. I just find it relaxing.

I wish my home town offered something similar, I would be a regular visitor with my takeaway coffee.

Seriously? Why?

And the winter gardens, sure it's nice, but it takes about 5 minutes to look around and then apart from passing through why would you deliberately come back until a year later?

I enjoy a good coffee from Zoobys and sitting among the lovely plants watching the world go by ... especially when it's lashing down with rain or snowing on the outside.