Network Rail timetable changes

Yep, same problem. Had to book a taxi to the airport because Northern Rail won't guarantee the train will actually run on the day.

Northern Rail dont operate the trains between Sheffield and the airport unless you are purposely choosing to get a slow one to Manchester and change there.

I think you need to do some research.

The timetable change in May 2018 was four times bigger than normal. This level of change depends on infrastructure upgrades, rolling stock to be available, drivers to be trained and crews to be rostered. Under normal circumstances, such a timetable change would be a massive, complex, piece of work. However on this occasion, the challenge has been compounded by several different factors:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/how-rail-timetabling-works/

---------- Post added 05-06-2018 at 11:06 ----------

The broader context of this strike action is that government has been looking to cut costs and bring in more automation on the rail network. Trains have been ordered with a view to driver-only operation, and franchises structured on the basis such changes are made.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/13/when-where-why-southern-rail-strike-industrial-action

And in which part of both links your supplied does it say that the government is to blame for both of these things?

There's only one person to blame here and that's the boss at Northern Rail. You seem to have an axe to grind against Grayling for some reason, hence trying to blame him.

The strike, like the one by Merseyrail in my area is because the new trains are fully controlled by the driver and there's no need for a guard.

But, they won't be sacked. They'll have their role changed to "onboard supervisor".

The guards don't like this because they've got used to their cushy little role of closing the doors then hiding in their little van. This change means they'll have to do some work and challenge the riff raff causing trouble on trains by smoking, drinking booze and putting their feet on seats.

Merseyrail doesn't have any contract with the government and isn't being forced by them to use guard-less trains.

Ironically, the only death on their trains - which the unions say will happen - occurred due to the actions of a guard.

Edited by alchresearch

The strike, like the one by Merseyrail in my area is because the new trains are fully controlled by the driver and there's no need for a guard.

But, they won't be sacked. They'll have their role changed to "onboard supervisor".

So more than one train company is having severe problems, so surely the blame goes above then, either to Network Rail or/and the Government.

I dont know Merseyrail very well, but it has a more modern and simpler train network than many other companies. I am sure more trains can be driverless/gaurdless in the future; but the point is the train employees are in dispute, so they will not be cooperative with changes.

---------- Post added 05-06-2018 at 13:07 ----------

As stated in one of the links, the Government want to save money. So gaurds will have fewer safety responsibilities and less training, and less pay.

Yep, same problem. Had to book a taxi to the airport because Northern Rail won't guarantee the train will actually run on the day.

Strange as you could have got the express to the airport from Sheffield which is operated by Transpennine Express and I've never had a problem with it even this week.

Strange as you could have got the express to the airport from Sheffield which is operated by Transpennine Express and I've never had a problem with it even this week.

TPE trains are affected and today are running up to 45 minutes late.

Go early.

1 TPE trains have a new route between Manchester airport and Leeds/York/Middlesboro. Many now go via Victoria which means they get stuck in the congestion at the through Piccadilly platforms. This causes delays at the Airport for arriving/departing TPE Sheffield trains.

2 Although the Sheffield TPE trains don't use the through platforms at Piccadilly they are being held up as they have to cross over the eastern throat of Piccadilly. TPE, Arriva, Northern and Virgin trains are all being delayed.

The problems got a mention on Look North earlier. Some bloke whose commute from W. Yorks to Manchester which should take just over an hour is now taking around 3 hours. He's having to use up bits of his annual leave to compensate for being late to work.

Apparently some of the problems are being blamed on over-running engineering work on Network Rail's subcontractor, Carillion going bust earlier this year. New contracts have had to be drawn up with new partners.

One of the new partners is Amey Rail. At least there will be no excuse of leaves on the line!

On top of all the disruption, another 3 strike days have been called.

He is in charge of everything; and Northern Rail are locked in strike action against new rules being brought in by the Secretary of State for Transport.

The Secretary of State for Transport is Chris Grayling, or if you are reading this on Tuesday, he is the ex-Secretary of State for Transport.

Wrong again :)

Explain what is wrong.

That Chris Grayling would be out of his job by Tuesday. I know there's three hours left but I think he'll make it through today.